Black Australorp: Hens or Roos? (Re-posting with Standing Pictures)

Austras

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2021
Black Australorp: Hens or Roos? (Re-posting with Standing Pictures)

Hello Everyone:

I am new to this site and new to raising Black Australorps. I have raised other breeds in the past but decided to try Black Australorps this time.

I ordered 8 pullets from a local hatchery in early March 2021. One was DOA, and two died within the first 24 hours which left me with 5 chicks. We cannot have roosters in our area which is why I specifically ordered only pullets.

They are now 18 weeks old with no eggs laid yet. I noticed that a few of them make loud and long, "Eeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" noises--but no "cock-a-doodle doo" sounds. Although males and female Black Australorps are supposed to look similar, I have my doubts about some of my 5 chickens.

I heard that this site is filled with knowledgeable people, and I would like your thoughts on whether these 5 are roos or hens. I am re-posting a standing picture of each chicken and have labeled the pictures by chicken number (C1 - C5). (Please ignore the blue labels on the legs; this was for temporarily taking identifying them.) Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you so much.

What are your thoughts? Hen or Roo?
--Chicken 1
--Chicken 2
--Chicken 3
--Chicken 4
--Chicken 5

Attachments

• C1-Chicken1-Standing.jpg
    C1-Chicken1-Standing.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 88
  • C2-Chicken2-Standing.jpg