black australorp information request

Yankabilly1969

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Upstate South Carolina
Hello,
I live in SC and I am getting ready to purchase some pullets but I am not for sure what breed to purchase. I have been looking at the black australorp however a friend of mine that has been raising chickens for a long time told me that they will crack the eggs laid by other chickens and that they do not get along well.

I have a 15 month old little girl and I really want this to be something fun for her so I want to find a breed that will be child and family friendly and become part of our little family. I would like a combination chicken so we may be able to have meat also if needed. But mainly we want them for their eggs. I have also read that they have nice large brown eggs.

If anyone could give me any information I would really appreciate it. By the reviews they look like what I have been looking for; however I want to verify what my friend told me whether the answers are true or false.

Thank you so much for you time,
smile.png

Your friend is misinformed on all counts. Australorps are an excellent choice for a backyard flock.

I agree with NYReds! They are wonderful egg layers!

Just don't get the birds from your friend or buy them from where she got them. There are plenty of Black Aussie breeders here.

Back
Top Bottom