Black Australorp is crowing -- do I have a rooster?!?

Thanks everyone for the support. We went back to the farm on Saturday and got three pretty girls to replace our beautiful boys. It was so sad to say good-bye, but we can't keep them here in the SFV in LA. :( Posting a picture of our three new girls, "Pretty," "Silver" and "Copper." They join our EE named Emily who is now ruling the roost after being so timid for months.

Mine are all 3 definitely roos lol--- started fighting a few days ago and had to separate the two least aggressive ones from the flock as I can't put the aggressive one with either of the other two roosters and had to pull two of the three out. I didn't want to have to butcher any chickens but it may be coming to that. :( I may have a Barred Plymouth Rock roo too but he is 6 weeks younger than the 3 Australorps. Darn I soooo wanted to have a couple of each breed of hens :( to start so I could find out what my favorites were as far as laying goes. But they only had straight run for the austras and I got really unlucky lol. I ordered the rocks as pullets but was sent straight run (it said they were on the order form) but took them anyway as they didn't have a home and felt bad for them lol.(also didnt want to have the last of my chickens that were on back order to be that much younger than the first 16 again)

I have the same question. I have a 9 week old Black Australorp, named Molly, and up until now I thought she was a female. But in the last 3 days, she has started a strange crowing. It isn't a typical, 5 syllable crow, but a 2 syllable crow, that almost sounds like Ka KAAaaa. She has 2 other pullets her own age and 2 that are 1 month older. No other chickens, no roosters. The 5 of them have been together in the run and coop for the last month. I started researching, and found this thread. I think I am seeing the pointed hackle feathers. Here are some pictures, what do you all think? Rooster, hen, or too early to tell?

Hi there, I'm actually thinking that could be a hen. It's a little early to be 100% certain but the comb/waddle Isn't big and the tail doesn't look like a roo's. You can see from my original photo how the tail fanned up in the back and the comb was very large! Good luck!

I have the same question. I have a 9 week old Black Australorp, named Molly, and up until now I thought she was a female. But in the last 3 days, she has started a strange crowing. It isn't a typical, 5 syllable crow, but a 2 syllable crow, that almost sounds like Ka KAAaaa. She has 2 other pullets her own age and 2 that are 1 month older. No other chickens, no roosters. The 5 of them have been together in the run and coop for the last month. I started researching, and found this thread. I think I am seeing the pointed hackle feathers. Here are some pictures, what do you all think? Rooster, hen, or too early to tell?

for 9 weeks, that's an enormous comb. Definitely a cockerel.

That comb is too big, too red, too early. Pullets don't turn red in the comb until about 14 to 18 weeks old. My Australorps are 17 weeks old and are just now starting to look like that guy.

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this chicken business, but we're excited and committed to having happy healthy chickens. We've grown to love our flock after two months. We bought four hens from a lovely farm up in Temecula. Woke up two weeks ago though to one of our Black Australorps crowing...LOUDLY. She/he has been doing it now almost every morning. He/she also hasn't laid any eggs, however none of our chickens have started to lay eggs (they are 6.5 months and 5.5 months roughly). I'm attaching a picture. Do you think we have a rooster on our hands?! I should have known since we let my son name "her" Lightening McQueen.

Back
Top Bottom