1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorp not laying yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pertelote, Oct 20, 2016.

1. pertelote

pertelote New Egg

Sep 23, 2016
    Rhode Island
    HI all, we have 5 hens. All are about 28 weeks old. All are laying now but one, the australorp. Is there an average age for this breed as to when they start laying?
    We have 2 leghorns, 1 barred rock, 1 buff orpington, and the 1 australorp.

Thanks for helping!!

2. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    I had a Black Australorp, gave her away when she was a little over 14 months because she had never even layed an egg. My friend has her just as a pet, she still does not lay eggs, and that's been a few months ago. So I do not know an average age for the breed, however I hope she lays soon for you. Good luck!

3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Maybe you've found one that is affected by the dwindling daylight-- hard to say. The latest I've had one go was 27 weeks- it seemed like she was never ever going to do it, then finally! But she has not been a very consistent layer at all.

4. pertelote

pertelote New Egg

Sep 23, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Thanks guys! The buff just started laying last week so maybe I have some late bloomers. Lol! Hopefully, she starts dropping a few egg's here and there.

5. pertelote

pertelote New Egg

Sep 23, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Are they known for being finicky layers?

6. dana0710

dana0710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    East Texas
    My australorps started around 19 weeks. They have always been excellent layers for me. They are a little older now (2.5), just went through a molt and I'm pretty sure one is an internal layer, but I haven't gotten an egg in months now. I'm hoping the other two get back into business pretty soon. I would be nice to get at least one a week out of the 3 of them.

7. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I don't think so. They're all individuals though!

There is an EE in my flock that is super sensitive to daylight hours. She stopped for 3 weeks in prime laying time... for noise purposes I had the pop door opening at 9:30am... moved it by coincidence because noise wasn't a problem, and the next day she was back at it like nothing happened. Happened again a few weeks later, so I set the door a little earlier, egg the next day and kept going. Now we're really into the shorter days and she's pretty well stopped, and that's OK-- but I was surprised how if/then her laying was with respect to light.

8. dizneekim

dizneekim Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2014
    Central North Carolina
    I'm having a similar experience. We have 4 black australorps who are 6 months old, and still not laying. The one we had before was terrific, so when she passed, we bought these four. So far, no luck. [​IMG] The black star we bought at the same time started laying about two weeks ago. The 4yo australorp is molting, so no eggs from her right now, either. We're kind of bummed. They are all plump and pretty, and have nice red combs. I wonder if we should add an hour or two of light in the coop?

9. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I believe the typical suggested light is 14hrs total- the type of light bulb might matter- otherwise it won't stimulate laying- though it's been a while since I looked into it so I don't remember which was which...

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pullets that mature in the fall do tend to start laying later than usual. My Australorps are good layers, when they aren't brooding. One of mine just started laying again after 3 months of brooding and molting.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by