Black Australorp or Barred Rock?

Proverb31mama

Songster
8 Years
May 15, 2015
Allen County, IN
We are ordering some chicks to add to our flock and I am trying to figure out which breed to order. Unfortunately I can't order more than 1 breed because our feed store requires multiples of 10 and 10 is the most we can add. So of the options available the ones I am interested in are barred rocks or black astralorps. I want good family friendly birds which it looks like both of these are? Does anyone have info on the roosters? Are they friendly too? Also need God foragers because we free roam. Which it look like both of these are? So I am wondering which of these would be better layers? And which ones would have the most meat on the extra Roos? And if you have any other info on either that would be great.

Or if anyone knows of a hatchery that I can order from that I could get chicks for 2.10 each, or close to it, including shipping, that would let me order a couple different breeds that would be awesome too!

Thanks!

I have three Barred Rocks and three Black Australorps that are from Cackle hatchery, which will let you order a mix of breeds. Mine are too young to lay eggs still, but I adore them all and would hate to choose just one of those breeds.

Last edited:
From what I've heard BA's are one of the most friendly birds, including their roosters, and they are one of the best layers.

I believe BR's are probably a better meat bird, because their yellow skin will look more appetizing.

Last edited:
From what I've heard BA's are one of the most friendly birds, including their roosters, and they are one of the best layers.

I believe BR's are probably a better meat bird (bigger), and their yellow skin will look more appetizing.

So far my BRs are friendlier than my BAs, but they're still young since I got them the week before Easter.

Last edited:
I raised many Black Australorps and Barred Rocks over the years and they are both wonderful breeds. Both breeds make decent meat birds and both are decent foragers, but based on your criteria, I would personally go with the Black Australorps for the following reasons:
Superior Temperament: While Barred Rocks are generally docile, I have occasionally had an aggressive one--more so than with the Black Australorps which are typically one of the calmest and most gentle breeds. My children and granddaughter had no problems making lap pets of our BAs, something they could not always do with our BRs.
Superior Lay Rate: Black Australorps are definitely the superior layers. A BA holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while none of mine have ever reached that kind of productivity (and likely never will), I've still had a few of them lay over 300 eggs in a year. I've never had a Barred Rock hen get even close to 300 eggs in a year.
Superior Hardiness: Both breeds are very cold hardy, but Black Australorps are more heat hardy than Barred Rocks. I raised both breeds where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (sometimes more), and while my BRs were listless, panting, and holding their wings out from their sides, my BAs were going about their usual business like troopers. Australorp heat tolerance is not surprising when you consider that they are commonly raised in the Australian outback where it gets very hot in the summer.
The cheapest hatchery for purchasing these breeds that I am aware of is Hoover Hatchery in Rudd, Iowa (http://hoovershatchery.com/) which sells both breeds (depending on the number you order and the sex) beginning at $0.85 per chick + shipping. However I would strongly recommend paying a little extra and ordering pullets to avoid getting a lot of cockerels unless you're planning on eating the cockerels. Most hatcheries only guarantee 90% on sexed orders so with an order of 25 chicks you will probably get a couple of cockerels anyway. I've never personally ordered chicks from Hoover Hatchery but I had a good friend and neighbor who ordered from them several times (he liked their cheap prices), and he was happy with their birds and service.
Whichever breed you decide to go with, good luck with your flock.

Last edited:
I would definetly go with BA. Theu r great birds!! Ours lay more egg than our BR and r 2 times bigger than the BR but very docile.

I have one of each in my flock. I'm still waiting for their first egg. I can't choose who is my favorite of the 2. They are both very friendly and are the first 2 to greet me when I come out with the veggie scraps. Neither one of them are too enthused about being picked up...actually they hate it. Lol!! You can't go wrong with either one. They are both great breeds. Australorps do get pretty big, and I've been told they great at raising baby chicks. I hope that's true!! :)

Back
Top Bottom