Black Australorp or Black Orpington?

Adula62

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2021
New chicken momma here,

Long story short, I ordered 15 chicks from Murray McMurray hatchery and ended up being given 2 free birds. My ordered consisted of 3 Red Star, 3 Black Australorp, 2 White Rocks (one ended up being a roo instead of a hen, 3 Plymouth Rocks, and 4 Easter eggers (one died and one ended up being a roo instead of a hen). The two free chicks ended up being a Silver Phoenix and what I thought to be another Black Australorp. As I was cleaning the run today, the sun was shining in on the birds. 3 of the hens had a greenish blue hugh to their feathers so I know that they are Black Australorps, but the other black hen didn’t show the same hugh in her feathers. Her feathers have shine, but don’t have an iridescence to them like the Australorps. Could she still be an Australorp or could she possibly be a black Orpington? Other than this subtle difference,they look the same.The chickens are now 15 weeks old.

I know this is an old thread but I have two black Australorp and the one is more iridescent than the other but I know they’re both the same breed. I have sundered why the other isn’t as shiny but it seems normal. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom