Black Australorp or Shamo cross???

frogdogs

Songster
11 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Edinburg
I picked up a 12 week old BA pullet last week, am very confused by her behavior, the redness in her face and her tall tail. She has no wattles & not much of a comb, but is very roo-ish in behavior....Posturing, standing tall, chatty, etc. I have been told that she looks like she could be a shamo cross. What are your thoughts/opinions????? Anyone ever have a purebred BA look like this as a young pullet?? Worried she may not be cold weather hardy and how she will blend into our flock after her quarantine is over, if she is indeed a Shamo cross...
87654_13_week_old_blackaustralorp.jpg

87654_13_week_old_blackaustralorptall.jpg

87654_13_week_old_blackaustralorp-face.jpg

Thanks for all opinion!!!

Where did you get her? What breeds to they have?

There aren't many Shamo out there, and I don't think she looks like the right shape. She just looks like an adolescent chicken that is growing tall before it fills out.

What kind of comb? It doesn't look like a straight comb, which BA's would have. Perhaps a Sumatra?

It could be a clean faced black Ameraucana. They do pop up every now and then. Or a BA/ Amer. Cross. I'm leaning towards boy in that case, but pea combed birds are always a challenge to sex. I see 3 distinct rows of "peas" on his comb, which often means boy.

UPDATE!

Scarlett is indeed a GIRL!! She layed her first egg for us on Friday, at 21 weeks-4 days of age. She has layed daily so far, 6 brown eggs!! Omelets for the family this weekend!
big_smile.png

87654_scarlette_at-21wks.jpg

87654_assiegirls-13_wks_21wks1.jpg

87654_scarlet-21wks.jpg

Yes she is pretty! I agree she looks like a BA/Americauna cross.

What color eggs does she lay? Pea comb would point to blue, but BA would give brown, which would most likely result in green when combined.

Thank you everyone, she is the sweetest of my girls! She has layed a beautiful brown egg for us everyday between 8:30 and 10am so far...even in this extreme heat!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom