1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Australorp possibly a rooster? :(

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by zivaC, Nov 28, 2015.

1. zivaC

zivaC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    Hi everyone :)

My chook, Lucky, whom I thought was a hen, is starting to behave a little aggressively. When I come to pick 'her' up, she pecks my arm and pretty much squeezes it tightly for a few seconds before letting go. It hurts!!!! I always thought she was a girl but now that she's nearly 11 weeks she's starting to behave a little different. Her sibling turned out to be a rooster too! I keep saying "she" coz I always thought it was a girl!

What do you guys think? Here's some photos. [​IMG]

2. zivaC

zivaC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. zivaC

zivaC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is Lucky and Jr Pedro

4. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    That would be a cockerel... In fact, 2 cockerels.... 11 weeks is too early for a pullet to have such a red comb, and HIS (lol) behavior is spot on for a roo... Don't let him do that to you if you plan on keeping him; train him by "pecking" him back and get that biting under control before he gets too much more aggressive ;)

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    x2 "She" is a he.

6. zivaC

zivaC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2014
    :( ****! The two eggs that my silkie hatched just had to be both roosters! What luck! We aren't allowed to keep roosters here where I live :( kinda sad coz I got pretty attached to ️Lucky :( she....I mean he....has an interesting survival story hence the name. Saved his life as he nearly died as a chick.
    SO UPSET!!!! :( if only roosters weren't so noisy then I'd be allowed to keep at least one!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Both birds in your pics are cockerels. Sorry. :eek:(

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    two cockerels

9. sean320

sean320 Out Of The Brooder

Ahhh...little boys! Good luck.

10. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Bummer; he's a nice looking cockerel... It's not odd that Lucky survived a near death experience; boys are notorious around our place for surviving odd things; I think they must just be tougher from the get go lol... Sorry Lucky isn't "lucky" enough to be a pullet :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by