Black australorp with leg problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bunnytamer, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Bunnytamer

Bunnytamer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2011
    Tricities
    hi everybody! so today i went out and looked at my new hen that i knew had something on her leg- and i decided to look at it. i was poking at it, the surrounding scales were super hard and puffed out around it, and it concerned me a bit, because she did live on a farm out in finley, and now in the city with me . she established the pecking order with the others- the other chickens with single combs got a little ding here and there, which also concerned me because these are my show chickens. anyways. the thing on her leg was like a wart would be on a human,
    she showed no pain, but when it started to bleed after i looked at it closer , of course she moved, but i quickly put quick stop on it. please try to help me? she is new so i dont know her personality yet.. but i dont know what it is.
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Purebred black astralourp. just starting to lay,, and about the weight of a bigger bird like her. she is as big as my silver lace.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    well she is new, and being secluded, except with the older chicken she was with that i now have from the farm..
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Got her a few days ago, noticed it then.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    A bit of bleeding when messed with, other than that just a few scrapes from ' the pecking order' day.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I am thinking it might have been an open wound and it just grew back that way?
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She is eating, but as she is new, secluded sometimes, and waits for openings while the others are out. [ i check if my chickns are eating by squeezing their pouches softly to see how much they ate ]
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Normal, not runny at all, except still a bit messy lol
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Quik stop to stop the bleeding.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I can take her to the vet if it is REALLY needed..
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    Done. look down below.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
    Timothy hay for bedding, dirt, grass, ect for run and outside
    [​IMG]

above: scrape with the other hens. cleaned up now.

below: her standing up and ignoring me.
    [​IMG]
    below: the weird gash thing. it is odd..

[​IMG]:
    [​IMG]

above: quik stop on bleeding area.
    below: is the white tips normal for a black australorp? i mean for showing.

[​IMG]
    thank you!!!!!!!!!!

2. Bunnytamer

Bunnytamer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2011
    Tricities
    Anyone ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by