Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, and Easter Eggers in one flock

MarximusMG

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 12, 2012
Colorado
Hey everyone,

Been a while since I've posted here, but glad to be back!

Had a quick question regarding temperaments of these three breeds (Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, and Easter Eggers) with respect to how they'll get along with each other. My wife and I are planning on raising chicks next spring, and I wanted to know if there would be any issues such as bullying between these three breeds.

I've read that each of these breeds are very friendly/good-natured, just wasn't sure if I should be aware of variations in that due to the presence of another breed.

It'll be a small flock, 2 of each breed for a total of 6 hens. Thanks in advance!

I have Easter Eggers, Black Australorps and Barred Rocks. My Easter Eggers are the top of the pecking order, my Black Australorps are at the bottom. They usually all get along, but there are days when they seem to all want to start fights. There will always be pecking order fights no matter what the breed. That's just chickens being chickens.

Last edited:
I have Easter Eggers, Black Australorps and Barred Rocks. My Easter Eggers are the top of the pecking order, my Black Australorps are at the bottom. They usually all get along, but there are days when they seem to all want to start fights. There will always be pecking order fights no matter what the breed. That's just chickens being chickens.

Thanks for the quick response! Think it's funny that the smallest of them sound like they have the most attitude. :)

One of my Easter Egger pullets is the same size as the Barred Rocks, two weeks older. The other is a little over half that size. There is a lot of variation when it comes to Easter Eggers.

Back
Top Bottom