Black Australorps

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by baustralorp, Feb 10, 2015.

1. baustralorp

baustralorp New Egg

Feb 10, 2015
    [​IMG]

We were fortunate enough to have purchased 1 rooster/4 hens from a breeder with a certified flock of Black Australorps. All birds were 7 months old at the time of purchase. They are just starting to lay eggs, and it sure is nice to be getting daily eggs from the start, and enjoying their full grown beauty as well. After doing much research concerning the different types of breeds, and how they would accommodate our family needs, all fingers pointed to the Black Australorp as the best choice. We have a 4 year old son who has frequent visits from cousins his age group, and we wanted to make sure the flock was not aggressive, or too frighten. Black Australorps are great in both areas-friendly and confident. We also wanted a dual purpose bird for their meat weight, and egg production. Again, the Black Australorp is superior in dual purpose. The Black Australorp set a record for laying the most eggs. In a 365 day period, the Black Australorp laid 364 eggs. Wow, now that's impressive. Of course, expecting such results out of each Australorp is unrealistic. They are rather large birds, and would make a good size meal, although mine are just for egg production and to be spoiled. They also do very well in extreme weather conditions, and last but not least, they are beautiful birds-with their black feathers and mettalic green sheen. They are also large birds which gives them an impressive appearance.

Comments, questions, stories, or lessons-information is all welcome. We'd love to hear your experiences with Black Autralorps.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    He's certainly a beautiful rooster. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Good luck in breeding your BAs.

3. MarcoPollo

MarcoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2012
    Hot Coffee, MS
    I am considering this breed should I ever get more chickens. They are beautiful and I have only heard nice things about them. They sound like the perfect breed for raising around children.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by