Black Austrolorp?

MandyMusshafen

Songster
Apr 2, 2023
This chick is 7 weeks old, and was supposed to be a black austrolorp. I bought 10 of them from Hoover's via the TSC website as sexed pullets. This is the only one with the little white "muff"? Is it a cockrel? I would expect more pink, but these are my first austrolorps so IDK. Is it a mixed breed? Something wrong? I'll include 2 pics of some of the others (I'm 98% sure they are all girls) at the end for reference/comparison. Thanks in advance!
Snapchat-1018606953.jpg
Snapchat-1810897256~2.jpg
Snapchat-292736191.jpg
Screenshot_20230711_215842_Photos~2.jpg
Snapchat-2125588617.jpg
Snapchat-298469485.jpg

That's interesting! You gotta remember, Hoover's is selling "hatchery quality" birds, so they may not all fit the standard exactly. They 100% are not selecting for SOP, so you could have some weird stuff slip in there, and it just never gets pulled. 🤷

I would hope since they are still young, it's possible it's just residual light baby fluff that should hopefully grow out as she matures. Not a cockerel and not a "mix" per se, although who knows if a muffed bird jumped the bin at some point way down the line? I think it's just a non-standard trait that happens to have popped up. I wouldn't use this bird for breeding, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with her. :)

Congratulations on your new flock!

Interestingly big, colorless wattles on this one. The beard/muff is cute, but I agree it could be just baby fluff molting out.

My muffed/bearded birds have like zero wattle to speak of and I think that’s common.. but as always I could be wrong!

That's interesting! You gotta remember, Hoover's is selling "hatchery quality" birds, so they may not all fit the standard exactly. They 100% are not selecting for SOP, so you could have some weird stuff slip in there, and it just never gets pulled. 🤷

I would hope since they are still young, it's possible it's just residual light baby fluff that should hopefully grow out as she matures. Not a cockerel and not a "mix" per se, although who knows if a muffed bird jumped the bin at some point way down the line? I think it's just a non-standard trait that happens to have popped up. I wouldn't use this bird for breeding, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with her. :)

Congratulations on your new flock!
Thanks!!! Glad to hear she is a she! And nothing wrong with her! The only breeding I'm dabbling in on purpose is with my bantam cochins, but I do have a full size rooster that the austrolorps run with that is a bym and several other hens that are bym so any babies I get from that one would fit in just fine with them! Lol
I honestly picked the austrolorps bc they are black and we have hawks, and they're awesome egg layers! I didn't want anymore roos so I went with the hatchery sexed ones! I've got some gold laced wyandottes that I got from hoovers also and about half of them have straight or a combo of straight/rose combs (one of them has a unicorn horn) so I won't be surprised if this chick is an odd ball too! I kinda hope the muff stays bc I think it is super cute! I'm pretty sure the wyandottes are also all pullets but they had me stumped for a while! I'll throw in a pic of one of them for fun! They are 13 weeks!

Attachments

• 20230708_190540.jpg
    20230708_190540.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 5
Interestingly big, colorless wattles on this one. The beard/muff is cute, but I agree it could be just baby fluff molting out.

My muffed/bearded birds have like zero wattle to speak of and I think that’s common.. but as always I could be wrong!
Right! The wattles are super odd! I kinda hope the little muff stays! I think it's cute too!

My Australorps came from Hoovers too, and they both had/still have white muffs. I have noticed that they are getting darker as they are getting older. Mine were hatched on May 24th. I also agree that yours is a hen. From what I have researched on Australorps is that the little roos get really red combs and wattles very, very early on, like 3 to 4 weeks.

My Australorps came from Hoovers too, and they both had/still have white muffs. I have noticed that they are getting darker as they are getting older. Mine were hatched on May 24th. I also agree that yours is a hen. From what I have researched on Australorps is that the little roos get really red combs and wattles very, very early on, like 3 to 4 weeks.
Ours came in the mail on May 24th!!!! I believe they hatched on the 22nd! We could have sisters! Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom