Black breasted chick turned out to be a hen (?)

Both of them are now checking out the nesting boxes all the time, and one of them has just laid her first egg! I have only two blue layers (their two potential mothers), and I found three blue eggs today! One of the eggs are really small. IMG_8309.jpeg IMG_8330.jpeg

Last edited:
Both of them are now checking out the nesting boxes all the time, and one of them has just laid her first egg! I have only two blue layers (they’re two potential mothers), and I found three blue eggs today! One of them are really small.View attachment 3573710View attachment 3573709
My young pullets have been doing the same, hopefully we both have more eggs in the near future!

I was looking through the saved photos on my phone and found some other hens with a similar coloring. I’ve seen several on the internet over the years.
IMG_1666.jpeg
IMG_1665.jpeg

IMG_1664.jpeg

The last two hens do have the “wing triangle”.

I had a salmon faverolle like the middle one a few years ago we lost young. Always figured she had something wonky going on internally because of her patterning
That sort of patterning with extra black and red is actually not too uncommon in hatchery faverolles. I don’t think the patterning was due to something being wrong with her.

Back
Top Bottom