Black capped chickadee egg! SO tiny.

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
Well folks, i have made an accomplishment that i have been wanting to accomplish for a VERY long while now.

As some might know, a teeny tiny black capped chickadee had her eggs in a birdhouse in my yard! Quite fun watching them grow.
After a while, once they all had fledged.. I saw something whiteish in the back. I gave it 2 days, just made me feel better that it, for sure, was completely abandoned.
Before i tell you the rest. Note this: Birds very, very rarely reuse nests of any sort because of the fact it might not be very durable, and could be very old, and fragile.

Black capped chickadees will *not* reuse a old nest.

Anyway, i went back, and after nearly 30 minutes of fiddling to get what looked like an egg out of the back ever so delicately with tweezers. (It was smaller then a dime by the way!)

And now, i have a little egg with a hatch hole in it. I took some of the nest and some feathers, and made it a little nest decoration.

I’ll get a picture tomorrow. I just thought that it was cool.
Does anyone happen to know how i could preserve this a little longer? It would be nice to keep it for a while.

Well folks, i have made an accomplishment that i have been wanting to accomplish for a VERY long while now.

As some might know, a teeny tiny black capped chickadee had her eggs in a birdhouse in my yard! Quite fun watching them grow.
After a while, once they all had fledged.. I saw something whiteish in the back. I gave it 2 days, just made me feel better that it, for sure, was completely abandoned.
Before i tell you the rest. Note this: Birds very, very rarely reuse nests of any sort because of the fact it might not be very durable, and could be very old, and fragile.

Black capped chickadees will *not* reuse a old nest.

Anyway, i went back, and after nearly 30 minutes of fiddling to get what looked like an egg out of the back ever so delicately with tweezers. (It was smaller then a dime by the way!)

And now, i have a little egg with a hatch hole in it. I took some of the nest and some feathers, and made it a little nest decoration.

I’ll get a picture tomorrow. I just thought that it was cool.
Does anyone happen to know how i could preserve this a little longer? It would be nice to keep it for a while.
you could blow it?

Back
Top Bottom