Black color comb, White slimy poo, lethargic 7 month old

Nikisacheekychicky

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2023
Hello, I've read through a lot of the post on white poo, done a lot research and have been self treating but would like to ask for any additional tips. I read something I should buy at tracker supply but can't find that post now and I don't want to over treat either.

Thanks for your help. I've read a lot of post and this looks like a great community.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

7 mo Black onxy, comb is usually red, it's pale and has turned black and shriveled towards the beak. Was black towards the back, is improving.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Noticed it sleeping in the nesting box about a week ago. I thought it was because she was sad her only mate didn't come home one night. We have new chicks in the pen next to her, but she doesn't seem bothered by them.

Noticed she let me pet her, which is rare. I always try, but I don't force it.

Then I noticed she wasn't eating or drinking much and tried to pick her up to check for bumble foot. Nothing except her bum was mucky with a bit of poo. But as she let me hold her without fighting, I knew something was wrong.

I brought her inside and have been giving her nutri drench, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and plain water. I have done this 3 times in 24 hours and left water in the pen. I also mixed up some dry food with water as someone suggested. I don't think she has touched any of it.

I gave her a lot of cuddles.

For the first 8 hours she did not stand up. This morning she was standing up. I left the cage open thinking if she is up for it, she will come out. She did. She has just picked at a little bowl of high protein food.

But I'm still concerned about the poo which is white and sticky.

My 5 week old chicks, even though they have a screen between, I noticed also has some white poo. I have noticed white poo before and it always has gone away with no problem.

I have not had eggs in at least a month from her

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

I would say a week, but I only noticed it when her friend didn't come home as I knew instantly something was wrong with her. But I just thought she was sad and tried to visit her more.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

Like I said, I have seen some white poop in the other pen but they all seem energetic with no other symptoms.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Because the the black comb, the internet said heart problems. So I thought it was her missing her friend. But because of the poo, I'm not so sure.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Only tonight do I see her eating anything.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

It's slimy and white. There is a separation of clear liquid and the white. Some spots have brown others are pure white.

No worms or blood.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Cuddles, reiki, nutridrench, apple cider, olive oil.

Seems to have some important, but I just want to be sure I don't need something else.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

I do not want to see a vet. Treat myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound

Attaching a pick of the poo and comb
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Florida sand, raked and DE added occasionally. I don't add DE when they are going back in to let it settle.

Bonus not on the list: food and water

I change the water nearly everyday, it's nipple so it stays clean. They usually have a one liter extra container of electrolytes, apple cider or nutridrench to select from in addition to normal plain water filtered with an RV filter.

I only feed non GMO grubbly farms, and their mealworms, and sunflower seeds. I don't give them many food snacks, but if I do it's watermelon, lettuce or eggs.

I noticed she drank yucky water from the compost but I think she was already sick. I put out clean water next to her and she ignore it.

Any suggestions would be great. As I said, she is walking around and is eating a little tonight, but I want to make sure I give her the best care I can and learn for future problems.

Thanks so much. Niki

IMG_20231107_175512.jpg
IMG_20231108_175550.jpg

You mentioned Florida sand. Is your run covered? Does the sand get wet? Does it dry out and stay dry for periods longer than it's wet? Do you keep the poop scooped or does it accumulate?

If the run is damp for long periods with poop accumulating instead of being regularly scooped, I'm thinking your hen could be trying to fight off bacterial infection. That's what the watery poop indicates to me. Chicks can have occasional watery poop and as long as it's mostly normal, it doesn't mean they're sick.

What antibiotics do you have on hand? I suggest amoxicillin 250mg per day for ten days for this hen. You can get aqua mox online or from an aquarium or pet store. Give one capsule directly into the beak. Do not mix or dilute into any food or water.

The darkened comb doesn't indicate cardio/pulmonary issues unless the comb is uniformly dark. It's normal for a chicken's comb to turn dark on the tips or edges when the chicken is under stress.

7 mo Black onxy, comb is usually red, it's pale and has turned black and shriveled towards the beak. Was black towards the back, is improving.

Noticed it sleeping in the nesting box about a week ago. I thought it was because she was sad her only mate didn't come home one night. We have new chicks in the pen next to her, but she doesn't seem bothered by them.

I brought her inside and have been giving her nutri drench, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and plain water. I have done this 3 times in 24 hours and left water in the pen. I also mixed up some dry food with water as someone suggested. I don't think she has touched any of it.
She's a Black Onyx? If so, the comb should be relatively dark or mulberry colored as they mature, so the coloring looks pretty normal to me.

I'd check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight and look for lice/mites.

Does she act broody at all? Not always likely at 7months, but possible. Has she laid any eggs yet?

Do you provide oyster shell free choice?

I'd consider giving her Calcium for a few days, get a fecal float to rule out worms.

She's a Black Onyx? If so, the comb should be relatively dark or mulberry colored as they mature, so the coloring looks pretty normal to me.

I'd check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight and look for lice/mites.

Does she act broody at all? Not always likely at 7months, but possible. Has she laid any eggs yet?

Do you provide oyster shell free choice?

I'd consider giving her Calcium for a few days, get a fecal float to rule out worms.
Yes a black onxy. I do offer calcium. Will give her some in the pen, thank you.

Not broody, she did lay but hasn't in a while, stomach does not feel egg bound.

Don't really know how to check the crop, I have been feeling around her neck. It feels bulky I would say.

Thanks for the reply

Looked for bugs didn't see any

You mentioned Florida sand. Is your run covered? Does the sand get wet? Does it dry out and stay dry for periods longer than it's wet? Do you keep the poop scooped or does it accumulate?

If the run is damp for long periods with poop accumulating instead of being regularly scooped, I'm thinking your hen could be trying to fight off bacterial infection. That's what the watery poop indicates to me. Chicks can have occasional watery poop and as long as it's mostly normal, it doesn't mean they're sick.

What antibiotics do you have on hand? I suggest amoxicillin 250mg per day for ten days for this hen. You can get aqua mox online or from an aquarium or pet store. Give one capsule directly into the beak. Do not mix or dilute into any food or water.

The darkened comb doesn't indicate cardio/pulmonary issues unless the comb is uniformly dark. It's normal for a chicken's comb to turn dark on the tips or edges when the chicken is under stress.
Thanks. The sand is dry as it's well covered. I rake and shovel it out for the compost but I will try to do better. I think you need a script for amoxicillin now, so I will order the aqua mox now. Appreciate the reply

Back
Top Bottom