black comb and face

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by key west chick, Jul 17, 2009.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I have a game chicken/Araucana chick that has a black face, comb and beak. Its feathers are coming in mottled. I was wondering if its comb will turn red or if it will keep its black comb. Its kinda cool looking.

2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I don't know whether your chicken's comb will stay black, but one of my black sexlinks had a black comb & wattles as a chick and it eventually turned red (when she got close to laying age).

3. Ferngully

Ferngully Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    N.E. Florida
    I had a marans/EE chick hatch with black comb and beak. It is between 12 and 14 weeks old now and still has both. I am waiting to see if it keeps it. It also has feathered legs. Mixes are so fun. Its sibling looks completely different and is smaller. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  4. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I have a little cochin bantam hen that also has a black comb and wattles she is very cute and over a year old.I think a couple of mine have that.

5. camardagardens

camardagardens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2009
    Vernonia-axe-men country
    I have a Gold laced wyandotte hen with a black beak and smooth black comb. Also hoping it stays that way, they are 5-6 weeks. pix are posted in wyandottes breeding thread. I know I've seen some breed with black comb and wattles.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  6. Rootball

Rootball Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Quote:Ayam Cemani

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I also have an all black pullet with black comb, face, beak. Mom is a cuckoo maran, don't know who the dad is. Her legs are slate also. Very pretty and very flighty (distrusts all humans) so we named her Spook.

8. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Black Australorp that had an all black comb, face, beak, and wattles for the longest time. It wasn't until about 17 weeks she started showing a slight tinge on red through the black. She is 23 weeks and still not totally red, but getting there. She still hasn't started laying, and she is from a hatchery if that matters.

9. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    I beleive they call it the mulberry comb and breeders at least of australorps to be careful of it.

We bred 4 hens to our rooster this last spring collected 4 eggs from each hen marked the eggs one hen produced three of these mulberry combs.. Im waiting to hear from a breeder as what to do? Just retire them to egg layers pen? This is a new flock for us , so Ive seen bits of it befor but dissappeared around a year, not a solid black comb.

Would be interesting to see what an expert has to say about it.

I will see if I can find the article about mulberry combs on these birds, not a good think I suppose, over all, all three hens are very well built birds, combs nice and straight nice points but just wrong color.

Out of those 4 eggs 3 hens one rooster all three had this, not a nice comb on the rooster twisted front . the other hens didnt produce this color variation.

If I find the article, I will post it in here

10. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks, Aveca. I like the name mulberry for the shade her comb and wattles are right now.

I am not concerned about my particular pullet. I like her being slightly different. I agree with Key West Chick that is kind of cool looking. It has made it easier to tell her apart from my other black pullet at a glance since they are close in size still. She is a very pretty girl. Also, my pullets are a backyard layer flock, not a show or breeder flock so breed standards for shows or sales don't matter much to me. But I understand if someone was a breeder needing to follow standards for a breed and needing to eliminate the trait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by