black comb and face

key west chick

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA
I have a game chicken/Araucana chick that has a black face, comb and beak. Its feathers are coming in mottled. I was wondering if its comb will turn red or if it will keep its black comb. Its kinda cool looking.

I don't know whether your chicken's comb will stay black, but one of my black sexlinks had a black comb & wattles as a chick and it eventually turned red (when she got close to laying age).

I had a marans/EE chick hatch with black comb and beak. It is between 12 and 14 weeks old now and still has both. I am waiting to see if it keeps it. It also has feathered legs. Mixes are so fun. Its sibling looks completely different and is smaller.
hu.gif

Last edited:
I have a Gold laced wyandotte hen with a black beak and smooth black comb. Also hoping it stays that way, they are 5-6 weeks. pix are posted in wyandottes breeding thread. I know I've seen some breed with black comb and wattles.

Last edited:
I also have an all black pullet with black comb, face, beak. Mom is a cuckoo maran, don't know who the dad is. Her legs are slate also. Very pretty and very flighty (distrusts all humans) so we named her Spook.

I have a Black Australorp that had an all black comb, face, beak, and wattles for the longest time. It wasn't until about 17 weeks she started showing a slight tinge on red through the black. She is 23 weeks and still not totally red, but getting there. She still hasn't started laying, and she is from a hatchery if that matters.

I beleive they call it the mulberry comb and breeders at least of australorps to be careful of it.

We bred 4 hens to our rooster this last spring collected 4 eggs from each hen marked the eggs one hen produced three of these mulberry combs.. Im waiting to hear from a breeder as what to do? Just retire them to egg layers pen? This is a new flock for us , so Ive seen bits of it befor but dissappeared around a year, not a solid black comb.

Would be interesting to see what an expert has to say about it.

I will see if I can find the article about mulberry combs on these birds, not a good think I suppose, over all, all three hens are very well built birds, combs nice and straight nice points but just wrong color.

Out of those 4 eggs 3 hens one rooster all three had this, not a nice comb on the rooster twisted front . the other hens didnt produce this color variation.

If I find the article, I will post it in here

Quote:
Thanks, Aveca. I like the name mulberry for the shade her comb and wattles are right now.

I am not concerned about my particular pullet. I like her being slightly different. I agree with Key West Chick that is kind of cool looking. It has made it easier to tell her apart from my other black pullet at a glance since they are close in size still. She is a very pretty girl. Also, my pullets are a backyard layer flock, not a show or breeder flock so breed standards for shows or sales don't matter much to me. But I understand if someone was a breeder needing to follow standards for a breed and needing to eliminate the trait.

Back
Top Bottom