Black Comb please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by First chickens, Oct 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. First chickens

First chickens Hatching

Oct 21, 2018
    Hey I got this chicken yesterday and she has black all over her comb and I’m not sure what it could be. Only new to chickens and she seems fine otherwise. Eating drinking and everything. I’ve noticed she’s been lying down a bit but all of mine have. It’s a hot day but have plenty of cool water for them. Please help I’m only new to this

Attached Files:

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Who told you a comb has to be red??? Your chicken may have trace genes from a Ayam Cemani. Here is a Youtube of a Ayam Cemani mix.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  3. First chickens

First chickens Hatching

Oct 21, 2018
    Thanks heaps! I will have a look at the video. Only got her yesterday and was just told she was a commercial black so wasn’t sure

cavemanrich likes this.
  4. Does the black area feel different? Is it hard and dry?

5. First chickens

First chickens Hatching

Oct 21, 2018
    No it all feels the same to me. It’s not raised at all either

6. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    Looks like it is just black skin to me from silkie or ayam cemani or something in her genetic background. The skin is also black in places on the wattles. Frostbite can cause blackened areas but they are crusty looking. Keep an eye on it in the next few days for any changes, but I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Sneebsey likes this.
  7. First chickens

First chickens Hatching

Oct 21, 2018
    Cool thank you heaps will do. She seems absolutely fine but will keep an eye on her for any changes. It’s not cold at all so can definitely till out frostbite

8. Sneebsey

Sneebsey Songster

Apr 7, 2017
    Shropshire, UK
    She does not have fibro, which would fit with an Ayam Cemani mix; a fibromelanistic bird would have black skin along with the comb and wattles. She appears to be melanised in the comb, which happens independently of fibro and is caused by a different gene.

Many breeds have the melanising gene, such as Black Copper Marans, Andalusians, Vorwerk... the list is extensive. It is often used to enhance the black pigment in the feathers, extending it to where it would not normally go. In Vorwerk, it is what makes the black head possible, and in Andalusians, it creates black lacing over blue. It can have this secondary effect on the comb and wattles in some birds; I've seen a lot of pullets come out of my own flock with this trait.

9. First chickens

First chickens Hatching

Oct 21, 2018
    Thanks she’s looks to be fine otherwise. She’s seems a little tired but they have plenty of access to food and water. She’s probably still just getting used to everything new around her. Eating and drinking well. It’s a bit warm here so she’s lying in the shade cooling down

cavemanrich likes this.
  10. Sneebsey

Sneebsey Songster

Apr 7, 2017
    Shropshire, UK
    Whilst some birds will sunbathe in hot weather, others do prefer the shade. Just like with humans, no one likes to exert themselves on a hot day.

As she is new to her surroundings, she is likely just figuring them out and will start to explore a little once she gets used to things.

First chickens and cavemanrich like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: