Black comb tips

Julieschicks

Songster
Jun 17, 2016
Pearland, TX
So I did a search and found a couple other posts, but didn’t see many pictures, so thought I’d do my own post. Noticed my black australorp’s comb is black at the very tip of each “spike”. It’s definitely not frostbite unless she got it before we got her and I just didn’t notice before. Any ideas?
95EB6DF4-D967-4EA7-B70E-411030520BC7.jpeg
View attachment 1300700

Greetings Julieschicks,

It's hard to see in the photo. It is possible that she could have frostbite. But, the black tips also look like, it could be a fungus. I had a black/gray fungus on my Ameruacana's comb, that looked very similar. You can apply an anti-fungal, and see if it improves.

You can see the fungus in this picture.

PICT0002.JPG

I hope this was helpful.

God Bless :)

Hard to tell in the photo, but it looks like pecking wounds to me.
Observe your flock's behavior, especially at roosting time, this is when you will see most of the comb pulling.

If you feel that it needs tending to, you can apply BluKote or even the antifungal cream as suggested by @Hen Pen Jem neither will hurt and both will probably help it heal.

Observe your flock's behavior, especially at roosting time, this is when you will see most of the comb pulling.

If you feel that it needs tending to, you can apply BluKote or even the antifungal cream as suggested by @Hen Pen Jem neither will hurt and both will probably help it heal.
All except 2 of my chickens have pecking wounds. I just left them alone..? Although one has a white circles around the black dots

Thanks! Unfortunately, with our current set up, I can’t really see them when they’re up in the coop. But when I’m out there at bed time, they do seem to make a bit of squabbling noise. With this coop, there’s no door to close them in up top, so it seems like they all actually fight to roost on the ledge of the doorway instead of the actual roost bar that’s in there. :barnie
2887F116-EFFB-463A-BC01-BC05947A6FC5.jpeg

Thanks! Unfortunately, with our current set up, I can’t really see them when they’re up in the coop. But when I’m out there at bed time, they do seem to make a bit of squabbling noise. With this coop, there’s no door to close them in up top, so it seems like they all actually fight to roost on the ledge of the doorway instead of the actual roost bar that’s in there. :barnie
View attachment 1300948

I would think they are pecking/pulling at each other during roosting. If you haven't done so, consider offering more space when you can.

Can I ask, how much ventilation you have in your current coop? Do you have any windows or vents that you can open. As temperatures rise, I can see that they would get too warm in that small of a space - I see you are in Texas, so I assume you have hot summers.

Back
Top Bottom