Black comb

NikkiC399

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
We rescued this lil guy from a hawk attack. He was hiding in a pricker bush for three days before caught in a trap where i could bring him in and help him. I haven’t been able to get two close but im trying to figure out why his comb is black like this? Could it be injury from hawk or pricker bush? Or frost bite or avan flu? I have no idea. I have 16 chickens in a separate enclosed coop and run and never seen this before. Any advice is welcomed.

Attachments

• E1A00917-FB7C-470F-AC47-3B514774931E.jpeg
    E1A00917-FB7C-470F-AC47-3B514774931E.jpeg
    675.7 KB · Views: 10
Definitely just dried blood from the attack or possibly peck marks from another chicken. My roosters comb looked just like that after he was attacked by a larger rooster. If it were pox, they would be raised and have a white edge that look a lot like warts. He will heal on his own; no need to worry or do much.

Definitely just dried blood from the attack or possibly peck marks from another chicken. My roosters comb looked just like that after he was attacked by a larger rooster. If it were pox, they would be raised and have a white edge that look a lot like warts. He will heal on his own; no need to worry or do much.
Thank you so much. I was nervous. He’s separated from our flock until i really knew. But hes found comfort w mrs. Popeye so im praying its not a disease. Poor guy. He seems pretty spunky lol we fell in love with him so I’m hoping it’s something i can help him with. But if it’s just dried blood which i think it may be I’ll let it heal and see. Mrs. Popeye isn’t going after him more like mothering him soo I’ll just keep things the same for now. Thank you all. Now i can sleep tonight lol

Thank you so much. I was nervous. He’s separated from our flock until i really knew. But hes found comfort w mrs. Popeye so im praying its not a disease. Poor guy. He seems pretty spunky lol we fell in love with him so I’m hoping it’s something i can help him with. But if it’s just dried blood which i think it may be I’ll let it heal and see. Mrs. Popeye isn’t going after him more like mothering him soo I’ll just keep things the same for now. Thank you all. Now i can sleep tonight lol
I completely understand... before I realized my roosters were fighting I researched “rooster comb diseases that don’t affect hens.... “ couldn’t come up with anything. It was the awesome people on this site that confirmed my rooster just had dried blood and scabbing from fighting. Once the roos were separated, healing began rapidly. He’ll be back to normal in no time. Sleep well, fellow chicken mom 😴

Back
Top Bottom