Black Copper Maran or Black Austrolop?

bluebirdnanny

Songster
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Notice the toenails are black and shanks are grey/black. The beak is almost all black. She is black but I think I see some reddish underneath at neck.
Past owners thought she was a Black EE.

:confused:

Australorp
Description:
The Australorp Breed was developed in Australia at the end of the nineteenth century with Black Orpington stock from England. The breed also has genes from Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, Langshan and Minorca crosses. The purpose of the breed was as a “utility” chicken for both high egg production and meat. It was originally known as the Black Utility Orpingtons. The breed was standardized after World War One and admitted to the Standard of Perfection in 1929 in England under the fitting name Australorp. By the end of World War Two, Australian poultry breeders wrote up their own breed standards, which have been accepted worldwide. Historically, Australorps have been egg-laying champions: an Australorp hen once laid 364 eggs in 365 days. They are an exceptionally beautiful bird, quite big, with black glossy feathers that have a green sheen and huge black soulful eyes.

Orpington
Description:

The original Orpington, the Black, was developed in England in 1886 and brought to the US in 1890. It was developed from Langshan-Rock-Minorca crosses. Today Buff, Black, White, and Blue Orpington's are recognized color varieties.

Australorp
Description:
The Australorp Breed was developed in Australia at the end of the nineteenth century with Black Orpington stock from England. The breed also has genes from Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, Langshan and Minorca crosses. The purpose of the breed was as a “utility” chicken for both high egg production and meat. It was originally known as the Black Utility Orpingtons. The breed was standardized after World War One and admitted to the Standard of Perfection in 1929 in England under the fitting name Australorp. By the end of World War Two, Australian poultry breeders wrote up their own breed standards, which have been accepted worldwide. Historically, Australorps have been egg-laying champions: an Australorp hen once laid 364 eggs in 365 days. They are an exceptionally beautiful bird, quite big, with black glossy feathers that have a green sheen and huge black soulful eyes.

Orpington
Description:

The original Orpington, the Black, was developed in England in 1886 and brought to the US in 1890. It was developed from Langshan-Rock-Minorca crosses. Today Buff, Black, White, and Blue Orpington's are recognized color varieties.
OK now I understand! I'm getting a Black Australorp as well as a Black sex link, Brown sex link and a Silkie! Can't wait!

Ah. Thankyou for the replies. :)

Chicken scratch, I thought Austrolop but the eyes are not black they are redish orange just like my heritage RIR. But it could still be Austrolop right? The eyes are why I asked the question.

She and the light brahma she came with (rescues sort of) have not taken the opportunity to go outdoors in five days of the coop being open to free range. If they don't in the next few days and quite cowering when the rest of the flock is in the coop they will be culled soon. I was told one laid pink and one off white egg. That is why I agreed to take them. Since I am breeding my RIR I didn't want any other brown layers. :/

Back
Top Bottom