Black Copper Maran over Black Americuna, results in White Chick

That chick has one parent that has dominate white.
Your Pyle OE has dominate white.
Idk if your neighbor has a rooster with dominate white or not.
It is what it is and whether likely or not the genes don't lie.
The other chick is not fathered by the Pyle OE. That's a guarantee.
I would assume its father is the BCM unless you do have neighborhood roosters stopping by.

The black one seems to have the puffy cheeks--the beginnings of a beard. It's color and markings (light wingtips, etc) are like a BCM. I think you can be sure that the BCM fathered the black chick. It occurs to me that I was wrong when I said the mom was possibly an olive egger. You said she lays blue eggs (not green). She is either a true Ameraucana or she is an Easter Egger. If she is an Ameraucana your white chick will develop a beard regardless of which bird is the dad. The egg color WILL depend on the dad. If the white chick does not develop a beard then mom is an EE and carries only 1 beard gene. An EE still MIGHT have 2 blue egg genes, but it is far more likely that she has only one. In summary:

Ameraucana x BCM gives 100% bearded olive egg layers

Ameraucana x OEBC gives 100% bearded blue egg layers

EE with 1 beard gene & 1 blue egg gene x BCM gives:
25% bearded brown egg layers
25% bearded olive egg layers
25% beardless brown egg layers
25% beardless olive egg layers

EE with 1 beard gene & 1 blue egg gene x OEBC gives:
25% bearded cream egg layers
25% bearded blue egg layers
25% beardless cream egg layers
25% beardless blue egg layers

EE with 1 beard gene & 2 blue egg genes (unlikely) x BCM gives:
50% bearded olive egg layers
50% beardless olive egg layers

EE with 1 beard gene & 2 blue egg genes (unlikely) x OEBC gives:
50% bearded blue egg layers
50% beardless blue egg layers

* Note that all of the "blue" eggs will have a modest wash of green because the OEBC lay cream/tinted eggs not pure white--so crossing them with a blue layer will yield a blue shelled egg with a modest brown wash that will make the eggs look greenish-blue, but not so much brown as to be called olive.

Of course, after all this discussion--the white chick will probably be a roo!

Last edited:
Its well known that many Maran breeders cross breed BCM with Wheaten Marans, chances are that your white chick is actually Wheaten instead, if the blue ameraucana carries a copy of wheaten hidden, but it would be nice to see the grown chick results

DSCN2075.JPG Pattern on back
DSCN2097.JPG Side View
DSCN2098.JPG close face side view
DSCN2076.JPG (Red Pyle Old English Game Bantam) Possible father, Chick is half the size of the father at 3 weeks. Possible he/she received the size genetics more from the mother rather than the father. I am doubting its the BCM completely.

In the Brooder it looked like it was coming in barred due to the poor red lighting. Since it hatched out white with a black dot (on it's head) I thought maybe there was some sort of freak reverse barring that doesn't happen often enough for me to have read about it.

I believe I see a bit of a beard forming but I don't know or care about beards. Not a fan of them or Tufts but I am not opposed to them either. My best Millie Fleur D'Uccles were beardless and it was fine with me.

Last edited:
I understand that you don't care about the beard. However, if your chick did NOT grow a beard, it would prove that the mom was an easter egger instead of an ameraucana. If your chick DID grow a beard, then it proves nothing because an easter egger often has at least one copy of the beard gene. (The same is true about a peacomb--regular comb means mom was not an ameraucana, peacomb tells you nothing.) Your chick looks like it was growing up to be a very pretty--and definitely not all-white! One of my chicks was a easter egger/barred rock cross. He has a barred beard that just looks crazy! (He also has double spurs)

Unfortunately that chick was murdered by a pit bull from an irresponsible owner and our local animal control acts more like a violent dog advocacy program than actual animal control. Its likely the mother is an all black easter egger but the chick had a small beard in the photo that didn't show up very well, it was large when he murdered (notice I did not say killed, I see it as murder when there were 6 dog attacks in total from the same dogs). I was not the only neighbor with dead chickens from the same dogs. What is wrong with people these days?

Ugh! Not sure where you live, and not sure how these things are viewed, but... When I was a kid in rural WV in the mid-70's any dog caught attacking livestock was shot on sight. It didn't even have to be YOUR livestock. It was viewed as a public service and a civic responsibility to eradicate dogs attacking livestock. Views have changed as more urbanites with expensive purebred dogs and a fear of guns have moved to the countryside. You may want to check on the local laws. You probably have the right to protect your livestock, but if you live in a congested area, you may not be permitted to use a rifle. Animal control SHOULD have given you advice on this. Google it, or talk to a local farmer. Anybody whose livelihood depends on the well being of their livestock will probably know the laws regarding its protection.

Back
Top Bottom