Black Copper Marans,Americauna,Peking Bantam

Kymanne

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 14, 2013
Hi everyone, if someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it! A friend of mine leaving the country gave me 5 Marans,2 Americaunas, and a little Peking. They are 11 weeks old. She could not sex them before she left and I am new to the chicken raising experience, but I am pretty sure I can see 1 roo.
any opinions would be so appreciated, Tia.

We definitely need better head shots and full body shots...if not of each individual bird then at least in groups that show each bird well and close ups of heads in clear lighting for combs.

I don't THINK I'm seeing roos...but it is too hard to be certain with the photo quality. In most breeds, by the time they are 11 weeks, especially Marans, the roos will have significant comb and wattle development.

I also don't think you have 5 Marans...2 may be Buff Marans, but most of the black birds are crested like a Legbar type crest, which could not be Marans. You may have 1 black Ameraucana, as it appears to have something of a muff, but I can't see the comb (which should be a pea comb). Also you have 1 game bird, or a bird of some other breed type than mentioned...it also appears to be having some leg issues (very knock kneed) and looks like it could use some attention.

Better photos would help us a lot.

Lady of McCamley

Thanks so much for the the replies, I tried to get some better shots but they were all over the place. Uh oh, I think my friend would be quite upset if they were not black copper Marans.She had the eggs flown up from Tasmania to Weipa, and they were expensive.

Should be 5 black Marans ,2 Americana ,and 1 Peking bantam. You guys are awesome,hopefully these are better pics...

Marans do not have crest or muffs and have a single comb (I see muffs on one of the blacks). I agree the 2 red birds look like wheaten marans pullets. The black might be the araucanas, would explain their crests, muffs and pea combs.

The black one in the middle looks like a rooster. How old are they?
LL

They were born Dec 23... here are the pictures of the eggs they came out of. Do wheaten Maran lay green/blue eggs? My girlfriend is adamant that they are Americaunas. Would Australian strains look different?

I just can't have roos, I don't want to send a hen to freezer camp. I've only been keeping chickens for a couple of years so I have a ton to learn.i have some beautiful barred Plymouths as well.

I thought that looked like a Roo as well but I don't have a lot of experience . I don't know how you guys do it they all look the same to me. Lol

Australian Ameraucana strains are different than American strains as what you call Araucana is what we call Ameraucana, except ours cannot have a crest. The British standard Araucana must be pea combed, tailed, muffed and bearded and crested. Our Araucana must be tailess, beardless, muffless and preferred with ear tufts (although that tufting gene can be lethal so breeders carry tufted and non-tufted birds).

However to my knowledge, standard Ameraucanas/Araucanas must lay blue eggs, never green worldwide. (A bird that lays green eggs is a hybrid bird we call an Easter Egger).

Marans are originally a French bird, and the traditional, French strain is feather footed on the outside toe, non-crested, and single combed with white/grey legs. The Black Coppers are basically a black bird with a copper neck in the females, and a stunning copper and black pattern for the males. The American and British standards have removed the feet feathers, however the French standard is coveted worldwide as they traditionally lay the darker eggs. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Marans/BRKMarans.html

Marans lay very dark brown eggs worldwide. That standard too is the same no matter where you are.

Lady of McCamley

CORRECTED AND EDITED TO ADD: After diggin into the Australian standards, your black crested birds are your Araucanas. I still think the buff birds are likely your Buff/Black Tailed Marans. Not sure about the gamey/lanky bird...and I do think that is a roo too.

Last edited:
You all have been so helpful! I manage to wrangle the 4 I believe are roos, but 1 I am unsure of. They are taking a really long time to grow, I don't know why some do not even have combs yet! They were born Dec 23. Could some one take a look to see if you think all roo? Thanks ;)

Back
Top Bottom