Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I haven't studied it that closely (what changes when and why), but they do change a great deal throughout their first year (as with all breeds).

That is really why it is best to keep your top choices for rooster until they are one year old. By the time they hit one, your favorite might have changed. (Of course a clear cull will stay a clear cull.... )

It always drives me crazy... Trying to keep the cockerels as long as possible before weeding through the bunch.

Here are the two pullets I kept. The others were a rooster and a severe cull.

Last edited:
Can a Marans cockerels tail start out normal looking and turn into a pinched tail?

My Marans cockerel has just started breeding the ladies this last week and I'm noticing his tail has changed a lot. This is my first BCM so I don't know if this is normal. I have looked at it carefully in the past and thought that it was a good shape and coming along nicely.

Can they just develop a pinched tail as they grow up? I assumed it would spread as his body got wider, not narrow.

Or, could it be that the muscles in the groin area change when they start breeding and pull the tail in a little tighter?

Can a Marans cockerels tail start out normal looking and turn into a pinched tail?

My Marans cockerel has just started breeding the ladies this last week and I'm noticing his tail has changed a lot. This is my first BCM so I don't know if this is normal. I have looked at it carefully in the past and thought that it was a good shape and coming along nicely.

Can they just develop a pinched tail as they grow up? I assumed it would spread as his body got wider, not narrow.

Or, could it be that the muscles in the groin area change when they start breeding and pull the tail in a little tighter?

Hi, anyway to see a picture and that way might have a better understanding. Most males with a pinched tail is caused by the back narrowing off a lot before the end of Back. If you have females with wider tails he would still be ok to use. If you have females with pinched tails use a wide Bushy tail male and it will correct the problem. Breeding any fowl all boils down to averages when mating them up in the breed pen. Don

Hi, anyway to see a picture and that way might have a better understanding. Most males with a pinched tail is caused by the back narrowing off a lot before the end of Back. If you have females with wider tails he would still be ok to use. If you have females with pinched tails use a wide Bushy tail male and it will correct the problem. Breeding any fowl all boils down to averages when mating them up in the breed pen. Don
Thanks, I will try to get some new pics.

Glad it wasn't just me.... I had to make the pictures big.... Especially that second one, thought I was looking at a fluffy face.

I can't really tell from the photos how their body shape is :idunno and they will change a bit as they continue to fill out.

It almost looks like these pullets have a Beard. They look real nice though. Don
Haha, I promise they don't! And thank you.
Glad it wasn't just me.... I had to make the pictures big.... Especially that second one, thought I was looking at a fluffy face.

I can't really tell from the photos how their body shape is :idunno and they will change a bit as they continue to fill out.
Would better pics help? I have a 1 year old from the same sire, could you judge quality from her?

Really what you are looking for are

1. Clear reasons to cull (crooked back, crooked breast bone, clearly wrong feet, legs etc)

2. Disqualifications, especially those difficult to breed out, i.e. Wrong color feet or side springs on the comb, etc.

3. Body shape and size.. This part is so much easier to do in person. You really need to pick up the bird and feel the spine and breast bone. Feel the width at the front and at the hips to check for a good width of body. Feel the back part to see if there is any narrowing at the pelvic opening.

4. And don't forget general vigor and health and growth and speed of feathering and those sorts of things.

(Point 2 should read disqualifications or major point deductions)

Also, those points aren't in order of importance.

Back
Top Bottom