Black Copper Marans discussion thread

If these "feet on the ground" don't yield better results, you and I are going to do some trading next year
thumbsup.gif
If my feet on the ground are worth their feed than I'm in! (They should be
smile.png
)
highfive.gif

I hatched some eggs from a breeder near me. I thought that avoiding shipping would be a good idea for my first incubator experience. Well, I'm a little disappointed with the results. I did get a good hatch rate 5/7 for Black Copper Marans. I was later told that they were B/B/S Copper Marans. And, while I'm not breeding for selling, and I'm not showing them, I feel disappointed with the chicks. You tell me. Is it too early to tell (they're 3.5 weeks old)?
Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4

I don't have a pic of Chick 5 (a friend has a mama hen raising it) but it is splash.
Be as critical as you wish. Again, I'm not a breeder, I just want to know what I paid for. Thanks.

I am a first time Black Copper Maran keeper!
These are my first chicks of the breed. I got 7 eggs from a local farmer and 5 hatched only 4 days ago.
They are raised by my best Mom. A 2 year old Black Dutch Bantam.
I do not show, I do not breed myself, I am in it for the fun and fresh eggs :)
I did a lot of reading about the breed and I am still confused!
What exactly is the difference between a BCM and FBCM???

I am a first time Black Copper Maran keeper! These are my first chicks of the breed. I got 7 eggs from a local farmer and 5 hatched only 4 days ago. They are raised by my best Mom. A 2 year old Black Dutch Bantam. I do not show, I do not breed myself, I am in it for the fun and fresh eggs :) I did a lot of reading about the breed and I am still confused! What exactly is the difference between a BCM and FBCM???
Beautiful babies! There is no difference between BCM and FBCM really. FBCM stands for French black copper Marans but since the American Standard is the same as the French standard, it makes no difference. There are some lines of clean legged Marans but I forget what country standard they are.

Cute chicks, congratulations!

In the USA we decided to go with or near the French standard for Black Copper Marans instead of the (British standard?) I think it is. The British standard calls for clean legs with no feathered shanks. So from what I gather people called their birds FBCM if they had the feathered shanks in the beginning to point out what standard they were following. Now that feathered shanks are the standard in the USA we typically just call them BCM. So BCM and FBCM are the same thing in the USA.

I think we have a few other difference from the French standard, but we agree with the French on the feathered shanks.

I am a first time Black Copper Maran keeper!
These are my first chicks of the breed. I got 7 eggs from a local farmer and 5 hatched only 4 days ago.
They are raised by my best Mom. A 2 year old Black Dutch Bantam.
I do not show, I do not breed myself, I am in it for the fun and fresh eggs :)
I did a lot of reading about the breed and I am still confused!
What exactly is the difference between a BCM and FBCM???

Before the breed was admitted to the APA, people would refer to them as French Black Copper Marans to denote they had the feathered legs, as opposed to the British birds, which call for clean legs. Now that they are in the APA SOP and feathered legs has been adopted for our standard, they really should just be referred to as Black Copper Marans, not "French" Black Copper Marans, but old habits die hard.

@tao chick

Not sure why you are disappointed.

They look to have a proper amount of leg feather, and they look pure bred.

They might end up light on copper (a common problem), but we will not know for sure until they are a little older.

@tao chick

Not sure why you are disappointed.

They look to have a proper amount of leg feather, and they look pure bred.

They might end up light on copper (a common problem), but we will not know for sure until they are a little older.

Oh, ok. This is my first time with BCM and they're at that beginning stage of feather growth that is deceiving. Are these the side sprigs that were mentioned on this board?

Oh, ok. This is my first time with BCM and they're at that beginning stage of feather growth that is deceiving. Are these the side sprigs that were mentioned on this board?
It looks like it might be unfortunately. Anything sticking out the side of the comb, especially in the back, is a bad thing and not something you would want to breed forward. And if one chick has it they could all carry the gene even if it isn't showing.
sad.png

I just got 9 new chicks from Meyer Hatchery and 1 is supposed to be a Black Copper Marans, but none of my chicks have feathers on their legs. Does the feathering come in later or should it be there?

Back
Top Bottom