Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I don't think I would try to incubate anything that's been in the frig
I say give it a shot.

People buy fertile eggs from Trader Joes all the time and hatch chicks from them even after refrigeration. Search google for "trader joes chicks". I couldn't believe it, but it's true.

To the doubting Thomases of the world. I have hatched many a fridge egg.
tongue2.gif

Do you know why the BCM chick came out like that?? I have the same thing

I think that the obvious answer... and something that is supported by many posts on here, is that people are crossing things into Black Copper Marans, or exercising very little control over their breeding, and as a result, there seems to be a succession of mystery chicks on here.... and that the only thing you can say for sure is that they are not Black Copper Marans.

I think that the obvious answer... and something that is supported by many posts on here, is that people are crossing things into Black Copper Marans, or exercising very little control over their breeding, and as a result, there seems to be a succession of mystery chicks on here.... and that the only thing you can say for sure is that they are not Black Copper Marans.

Wow, I am the only one in here in the last couple of months who gave you any of that to talk about, so, Happyfrenchman, you aren't helping.

No. NTB... It is assuredly not just you... and I don't mean to criticize anyone individually. But in fact there has been a steady pace of people posting chick pics of birds that were either crosses or anomalies from alleged purebred parents. Some birds were perhaps just poor examples of Marans, the color was off or the type was poor..... but some birds were obviously crosses. Pendenesencas causing white ear lobes..... yellow skinned birds showing as green legs... (these are things I myself experienced and culled). One of those chicks I saw in an earlier picture reminded me of a Barnevelder which would be another bird that lays a very dark egg, that people might be crossing in.
People are getting birds from E bay or other places.... and there is no recourse or quality control other than the sellers integrity.... and when they are selling the eggs for 50 dollars a dozen or sometimes more, there is likely a motivation to present darker eggs. My birds lay some pretty dark eggs, but they also lay some lighter ones, and some speckled ones.... There could well be mixed heritage in my own birds... but it would have to be 8 generations back now... and it wouldn't be from anything I introduced..... and I never hatch a "mystery chick". I do see some variance...(knock on wood) but not the variance some people are finding. I will get a bird with too much halo, or comb sprigs, or maybe some straw colored hackle instead of copper.... But never something that I cannot identify.
And I think the reason for this is there are crosses that are not known to the owners of the stock. And of course there are people that are just saying ... "I want to cross in some barnevelder or some Pendenesenca, and then breed back to BCM for two generations or three generations.... and the anomalies are in there. . They are mutts. Black Coppers are no different than any other chicken.... if you introduce crosses, they are no longer Black Coppers. But truly... look back through the posts... you will see what I am talking about. It takes alot of time to breed true for any bird breed, and people are muddying the provenance of their own birds... which is their own business, but don't be surprised that no one can identify these birds from a photo other than to say....well, I suspect the serious BCM people usually just say nothing.

You make a really good point, and lets change your name to "Happy American" since that is what you are, and your passport under nationality says USA.

Back
Top Bottom