Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Please don't leave, just do like Don and ignore the chatter. He asked for 10 day pics of my new chicks to evaluate, so I am posting them this weekend and would like some feedback
big_smile.png
I guess I do sound a little like Eric Cartman..... "blank you guys..... I'm going home." I do want to see your chicks and the eval. I also wanted to brag about my new chicks, LP/Greenfires latest import. I will post pictures. Sorry everyone.

These discussions and the criticisms are VERY important. If someone posts good photos, and asks for a critique, I for one believe that it would be nice to take a few moments and do so.

That time spent "telling someone what they don't want to hear" may save years of bad breeding, misrepresentation as pure when not, and will help others find good stock by learning what a chick is supposed to look like, what a juvenile is supposed to look like, and what mature adults are supposed to look like.

Simply saying yours are not good and mine are good isn't helpful to someone new to the breed.

I participate in the discussion led by Kevin Porter on turkeys. Kevin, Dana Manchester, and a couple others are experts on turkey genetics. That they are willing to donate their time and efforts to helping others improve their stock and understand the genetics is very much appreciated.

These discussions and the criticisms are VERY important.  If someone posts good photos, and asks for a critique, I for one believe that it would be nice to take a few moments and do so.

That time spent "telling someone what they don't want to hear" may save years of bad breeding, misrepresentation as pure when not, and will help others find good stock by learning what a chick is supposed to look like, what a juvenile is supposed to look like, and what mature adults are supposed to look like.

Simply saying yours are not good and mine are good isn't helpful to someone new to the breed.

I participate in the discussion led by Kevin Porter on turkeys.  Kevin, Dana Manchester, and a couple others are experts on turkey genetics.  That they are willing to donate their time and efforts to helping others improve their stock and understand the genetics is very much appreciated.
It killed me the first time I posted pics here and Don and a few others told me how bad they were, but I stuck around and learned why. If you don't want an honest opinion, don't ask. When Don learned that I would stick around and ask questions, he taught me a lot. I have a lot of respect for him, value his opinion, and what he has taught me has led to what I believe are better birds. I know they are at least a better start, and when he points out the problems with these, I will look to him and others to help me learn how to breed to improve on my foundation

I know it has probably been talked about many times but I have just hatched out my first batch of BCM chicks. They are approaching 4 weeks old and I have about 4 out of 10 that are mossy in color, why are some mossy? None of my hens are mossy and most have very little copper coloring on their hackles. I was just wondering if I should cull now or wait it out at this point? Should I look for a new cockerel, or wait to see what one from this hatch looks like? Thanks to all that reply in advance, as I have lurked on this thread for 3 months and figured with all this knowledge on this board I might as well use it!!!

Don't cull till they grow out. You (IMO) should wait a pretty good while before culling..... Obviously bad cockerels can be culled while they are still tender enough to eat but in most cases I would think you have to wait til they are grown.

I have had many mossy chicks and none of my adult females are anything but a glossy black. It is apparently normal.

Don't cull till they grow out. You (IMO) should wait a pretty good while before culling..... Obviously bad cockerels can be culled while they are still tender enough to eat but in most cases I would think you have to wait til they are grown.

I have had many mossy chicks and none of my adult females are anything but a glossy black. It is apparently normal.

My bad batch of BCM hatched predominantly mossy, and grew out with way too much color. Like Don warned me, the penguin chicks with no moss were the only ones that even were remotely correct in color.
The new chicks are growing in their wing feathers, and only one of 13 appears mossy. I'll post pictures sometime this weekend for opinions

Back
Top Bottom