Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. jarodw45

jarodw45 Songster

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    Quote:Hello.. anyone... anyone who breeds BCM/s... anyone?????????????????????????????????????????

What do you mean crown? in my experience the pullet's comb will stay shorter until they get older and in one of my lines the pullet comb is dark kinda black until older... if you post pics we could help you better decide what the chick is...

2. sabella

sabella Songster

Feb 17, 2011
    Newnan Ga
    Sherman Update!

Sherman has gotten huge. He's 14 weeks old and 15" tall. He's around 5 pounds. He has done a ton of growing in the last two weeks.

The day we got him 2-20-11 (10 weeks)
    [​IMG]

12 weeks old
    [​IMG]

14 weeks old
    [​IMG]

His face
    [​IMG]

His back (no white, that's reflections)
    [​IMG]

With the girls. The dog was nearby so tails may be higher than usual.
    [​IMG]

Hind end of two of the girlies. #1 is showing off her lacing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4 has lost her baby coloring on her face (12 weeks old now) but seems to have a squirrel tail.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  3. math ace

math ace Crowing

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Good Afternoon wannabchick. They say patience is a virtue. . . . . Obviously, not one of yours [​IMG]

OK, let me see if I can help you out - - - AND by the way [​IMG] Black Copper MARANS Thread

These pictures were taken when my chicks were 19 days old, a hair younger than yours . . . I have some pics from 1 month old too. The difference is the combs get bigger and pink by then [​IMG]

COCKERELS - - -

# 1

[​IMG]

# 2

[​IMG]

# 3

[​IMG]

I haven't done a great job of hatching pullets this year - - - so I only have a couple of pictures for you in the girl department

PULLET # 1

[​IMG]

Pullet # 2

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  4. math ace

math ace Crowing

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    In two out of three of the cockerels, you could clearly see little pink wattles showing up at 19 days.

5. upthecreek

upthecreek Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    I've just came in on this message : but Beautiful Birds !!! Love your pens !!! would love to see more pics of the complete pen setup ..... they all look so healthy and happy , Thanks

Quote:

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Karen I'm so glad you found some.

I put 18 in lockdown for a 26th hatch. Some are mine, some are from another source. I got a HUGE egg from one of my older girls today, so I stuck 10 more in the bator including that one. The kids were so in awe of that egg. LOL I love how big the eggs are from Bev's birds.

Come to think of it, I was in awe of that egg too. LOL

I got blue OEs from some of my birds my last hatch. The one with the blue AMs I told you about Sunday. They look so much like the AMs, but all have feathered shanks. So cute.

Morning Kim,
    Glad to see you (read you?...LOL) here. I just checked out your BYC page. I never realized you have such a variety. BTW cute picture of Makayla & the $1000 chick on the other thread. My husband & I spent our first few years together in Alameda & had our daughter while there.
    How cute that you can see who your OEs are. I think my OEs presented as BCMs, but even if they looked like EEs I had both in that hatch so can't tell. This hatching & keeping track of who's who has been a challenge for me but I think I have it figured out now. Now I have metal coated cages for them to hatch in so I know which is which & that is how I have kept the newest hatches separate. My Harry Shaffer Lav Ams & ChickieLady's Blue Ams hatched the same day but I had her's in cages. It worked perfectly & I banded all hers as soon as I took them out of the incubator.
    I am doing some test hatches on BCMs right now just for my own information. I put one cage in with older eggs & 1 fresh collected one & another cage with all freshly colleded darkest eggs from within a week. I will be happy to get some better BCMs but for now I keep working with what I've got.
    I take it that Sportsman has been getting the job done. I am glad you were able to fix it. I would be so unhappy if something happened to my incubator. I even drug out the old Styro & ordered a hygrometer for it that hasn't come yet but I have it full of Olivia's Black Austrlorps & the Blue Andalusians just to see what happens. What they heck that's how I had to do everything before the Brinsea & I loved doing it. I do have much better luck now though. I am hoping adding the hygrometer will help that.
    Have a good day
    Karen in Turlock
    About OEs ,..........I lost track of mine & now won't know who's who until it lays if it's a pullet that is............LOL.

Thanks Karen

Nope we didn't get it running. SIL had a ton of things to do. I might pull it out and try again, but have so much going on. I keep running on and off the forums though.

This wind is horrible! Everything shaking around here. Waiting for a call from my machanic. Makayla and I walked home from there last night and I thought the cold and wind was bad then. Yipes!

Had to let the BCMs out again. When the weather clears and my coops dry I need to finish them better. Found them leaking this morning. Now I know why I have floods. Two of the hens want to come inside. Gave them some scratch and sent them on their way.

I lost a quail today and also some of the chicks in the brooder. I think that cat did some damage I couldn't see before. Makes me so mad.

I have 30 eggs in the bator now and 16 are BCM. The girls are out singing that egg song, so hopefully more to set in a few days. I hope I get some good ones out of them. The Jeane cocerel I have in the brooder I think is going to be a cull. Darn! Just has a lot of color on his chest.

Yeah the Sportsman makes more sense. LOL

Just got my call. Time to take a long cold walk. brrrrrrrrrrrrrr LOL

7. wannabchick

wannabchick Songster

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Thanks you Ll, and thank u so much fornthe photos

When I say crown, that's just my term for comb...lol

And yes, my little one within a week had a visual comb..so this is why iam freaking..male..another..male...ayayay

But at march 2 hatch then that puts him/ her at about 3 weeks old..what I did notice is I hatched wheaten marans too with it

And this one at 3 weeks is fully feathered and the wheaten cockerels are not at all...so I do compare that to the wheatens..

Then it has a comb the exact same size as the wheaten cockerels, and the one wheaten pullet has no comb visually and is just cream in color, so I can only assume that one must be the girl of the wheaten marans..

I just didn't know if maybe black copper marans pullets will have visual combs too.... Just so hoping this is a pullet

And with that comb on it's head iam freaking..I will post photos as soon as my camera is up and running

Thank u all for helping

And patience..no iam so over run with roosters, iam loosing it..I have no one who wants them and no one to cull them..I just can't bring myself to do that in fear they could be perfect quality..lol, and I wouldn't even know it..could u all imagine a perefect maran culled at my ignorance...

Thank u

8. wannabchick

wannabchick Songster

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Heres the black copper maran I've been speaking about.. fretting over, and freaking out..LOL
    their is no pink showing at all, but a big comb to me.... do pullets get big combs too

but their is wattles.. do the girls get wattles.. I see wattles now... but they are still yellow..yellow like the comb

Hatch date March 2, 2011

No Brown at all... black/ with some white..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Songster

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Quote:Math Ace- love the new picture [​IMG] !

10. math ace

math ace Crowing

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yep, that is my sense of humor [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: