Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:The chicks with the brown will effect the male and female, most will be over colored, the female will usually be Mossy.

2. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Hello, again, everyone! [​IMG]
    I checked in a couple of months ago when I was waiting for my BCM eggs and have been lurking and trying to learn since then. My BCM chicks are now almost 5 weeks old.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (click on pics for larger image)
    I am thinking #1 and #3 are pullets and #2 is a cockerel. The first two have white feathers on their wings - will they lose these as they get older? The first one's legs are not as slate colored as the other two, although I can see the coloring a little at the top off her legs - does this come gradually on some chicks? I would welcome any input on these. As I said I am trying to learn and I am OK if these need to be culled or kept as layers only.

3. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:The legs on number 1 are awfully yellow for a BCM. Seem to be a yellow cast to number 2's legs as well. Marans legs should not be yellow. There is also a lot of feather colour already for Black Copper Marans pullets. I would question whether they are pure Marans. [​IMG]

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    My 22 week old cockerel. Just wondering how he looks to y'all.

[​IMG]

5. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Quote:A little yellow on the feet as chicks is perfectly fine. Mine do that and they came from good pure lines. In my experience the yellow fades as they mature. Don't worry [​IMG]

6. Roosterfry

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Quote:Ha you know he looks good! [​IMG]

7. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Geebs,

Is this one of your boys? He has that low rider look going on that you like soo o o o o much!

8. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I would think that at 5 weeks of age, any yellow on the feet should be gone by now. I know that sometimes the real young can have a yellow tint that quickly fades......But at 5 weeks of age I would be a little concerned.

Just my two cents and not intended to offend anyone [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  9. Roosterfry

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Quote:I would think that at 5 weeks of age, any yellow on the feet should be gone by now. I know that sometimes the real young can have a yellow tint that quickly fades......But at 5 weeks of age I would be a little concerned.

Just my two cents and not intended to offend anyone [​IMG]

Not offended. I wasn't sure when it fades. I just know from looking at chick pictures of mine they have some yellow on their feet and now the same pullets have none 12 weeks later. Does anyone have this PERFECTLY correct yet??? Geez I want a perfect bird that starts out laying 9's and lightens to 7's with glaringly orange eyes!!!

10. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:LOL, let me know when you find that bird AND what kind of off spring that bird produces.... because odds are a bird that looks great will be hiding some real nasty things in its genes!

It does get a little frustrating!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by