Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Hello, again, everyone!
frow.gif

I checked in a couple of months ago when I was waiting for my BCM eggs and have been lurking and trying to learn since then. My BCM chicks are now almost 5 weeks old.
(click on pics for larger image)
I am thinking #1 and #3 are pullets and #2 is a cockerel. The first two have white feathers on their wings - will they lose these as they get older? The first one's legs are not as slate colored as the other two, although I can see the coloring a little at the top off her legs - does this come gradually on some chicks? I would welcome any input on these. As I said I am trying to learn and I am OK if these need to be culled or kept as layers only.

Quote:
The legs on number 1 are awfully yellow for a BCM. Seem to be a yellow cast to number 2's legs as well. Marans legs should not be yellow. There is also a lot of feather colour already for Black Copper Marans pullets. I would question whether they are pure Marans.
hide.gif

Quote:
I would think that at 5 weeks of age, any yellow on the feet should be gone by now. I know that sometimes the real young can have a yellow tint that quickly fades......But at 5 weeks of age I would be a little concerned.

Just my two cents and not intended to offend anyone
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I would think that at 5 weeks of age, any yellow on the feet should be gone by now. I know that sometimes the real young can have a yellow tint that quickly fades......But at 5 weeks of age I would be a little concerned.

Just my two cents and not intended to offend anyone
wink.png

Not offended. I wasn't sure when it fades. I just know from looking at chick pictures of mine they have some yellow on their feet and now the same pullets have none 12 weeks later. Does anyone have this PERFECTLY correct yet??? Geez I want a perfect bird that starts out laying 9's and lightens to 7's with glaringly orange eyes!!!

Quote:
LOL, let me know when you find that bird AND what kind of off spring that bird produces.... because odds are a bird that looks great will be hiding some real nasty things in its genes!

It does get a little frustrating!

Back
Top Bottom