Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    HAH! Jan 1. I said that before I hatched out a test hatch for October. Now there are 2 doz more in the bator.
    Ain't no stopping it. And with the Marans, every time I get another chocolate egg, it goes in next to all the others.
    It's gonna be a mess in my kitchen in 3 weeks!!!

2. liv4fun

liv4fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    North Alabama
    luv it

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    can't get it to work.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Happy THanksgiving!

When collecting the days eggs tonight, arrived home late from MIL, there was my FIRST marans egg in the nestbox! [​IMG] [​IMG]

AND a FBCM was the father of an OE which hatched last night out of a blue egg: fuzzy legs a giveway as to who daddy is!

Oh, the pretty eggs in the eggbasket.

5. VillageChicken

VillageChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Hen house burnt down tonight. Didn't lose them all, just the dumb ones who didn't get out - they weren't closed in, and had the entire yard to escape to. Found many survivors, but not sure how many. I will know better in the morning, it's almost midnight here. No one got hurt, and it's not near the house. But it's burnt to the ground, and it's around 32 F outside, so I'll have to scratch together a quick shelter for the remaining birds. Saw a few BC running around, but it's hard to know in the dark.

Fortunately, I have about 50 chicks growing out in the basement from any of the ones I've lost. I'm just wondering if it's time to scale back a bit, or even call it quits. Winter always makes me feel like the whole chicken thing is getting out of control. Then come spring it's all easy and sunshine and I love it. Now I find myself wondering what life would be like without chickens. In some ways, very sad, but I'm wondering what I could do with all the extra time, if I could just move on and get over it. Not sure now. It just happened a couple hours ago and hasn't settled in.

6. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Oh no!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck in whatever you decide!

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    [​IMG] Don't know what else to say.... So sorry for you losses. The coop itself is a huge loss. This will give you a reason to build the coop of your dreams!!! TRY CL for rabbit hutches for the time being.... I would run an ad... ppl are pretty nice in the face of such tragedy.... I lost everything I owned including all my pets to a house fire in 1999. Even a little fire leaves a lot to be desired.

8. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    Oh so sorry to hear that VC [​IMG] [​IMG]!

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Well if it makes ya feel any better VC.... Charlie... my main rooster got attacked by a nieghbor dog and after nursing him for the last 7 days he has necrotic tissue setting in and I fear that it will be simplier just to humanely euthanize him. I will hold out another 24 hours. He is the one at the front of this thread. He made me a lot of nice males.

10. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:Dang! [​IMG] Can't come up with anything else even remotely meaningful to say expect - so sorry for what you and your birds are going through. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by