Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I am so sorry to hear of the tragedy.
hugs.gif

Oh, VC - I'm so very sorry to hear about the fire! PLEASE don't throw in the towel on breeding, though. You are one of so, so few who had such an excellent grasp on the genetics involved with poultry....it would be a huge loss to all of us if you called it quits! it will be some work rebuilding...but it will be worth it! If I lived in Hungary, I'd be there at sun up tomorrow to help!
hugs.gif
As I'm sure many others on here would be!!!

Keep you chin up...do you know what started the fire? I hope whatever it is you are able to identify it. Hang in there!!!

(Thanks so much to the person who alerted me!)

Oh Roger, so sorry!
hugs.gif
Save who you can, know there will be more chickens, and thank God your family wasn't in danger. Hang in there, it will get better.

VC,

So sorry
hugs.gif

Not like your plate isn't full already with the human babies
smile.png

A fire is scarry no matter where it is. I am so glad you and your family are safe.
hugs.gif

Natural disasters, predators, OR fire make chickens a challenge. However, when you go out tomorrow in the day light and your babies, the feathered ones, all come running up to you....well, you will know WHY you do this year after year, winter after winter. I'm with Wynette, if I were closer, I'd be there tomorrow to help you with any thing I could. I'd even bring DH with me LOL.

Get some sleep VC and deal with what you have to tomorrow
hugs.gif
Give your wife and children a hug and Thank God they are safe!

So sorry to hear about your babies!! Coops are replaceable. I hope you have lots of survivors..crossing my fingers. Don't throw in the towel.
Just rebuild your coop bigger and better..can be an opportunity to improve on stuff. I'm sure you will be disgusted for awhile, I know I would be.
I have lost more good hens this year from predators and heat and my all time favorite blue marans rooster who loved to sit on my lap and have his neck scatched! Many times, especially after the loss of him and my good blue hen Bella that laid really nice dark eggs, I've wanted to just forget it but that meant giving up my other babies lol...and I'm not! I will be praying for you!

Geebs so sorry to hear about your house fire. That must of been really hard on you and your family!

Thank you for all your kind comments. I'll take it one step at a time. Supposed to celebrate Thanksgiving with other expats here.
Didn't sleep much last night... now I gotta go slap together a little fencing to keep the dogs from getting to the birds that survived.
We have a long drive into the city with the kids today, pray we stay safe and sensible.

Roger

Surveyed the situation this morning - almost all the BC hens survived, and my good wheaten hen too. I had two Columbian Marans project pairs - everything right except egg color and type, one hen and one roo survived. Rescued a hen from the mouth of one of the dogs, got it sprayed with antiseptic - looks like it will be fine.

I've got things hobbled together until I decide what to do next. I'm inclined to rebuild, but it's almost december, and we have Michigan like weather out here... So it might be chicken shantytown until spring.

Let us know if there is anything we can do... I work with a guy from Hungary, and I know the family has chickens. He always shows me pics from home.
If you need anything, I am sure I can use them as a contact. He asks me every day how my birds are, I am sure he misses home and the birds.
I have already started promising him chicks, as soon as he is done with his coop. He is worried about the Visla getting along with them.
Roberta

Quote:
Sounds like the biggest loss for you has been the coop which is good news because that can be rebuilt. Stressful stuff, a fire. I've been through it with my family. Takes a bit to get over the shock and the loss. But I'm REALLY glad to hear that for the most part, you are all ok.
hugs.gif

Roger~ I am very sorry. Thank goodness you have a basement full of chicks and birds. PLEASE DON'T EVER QUIT WITH THE CHOOKS....I agree with Wynette and you have such a grasp on things it would be sad to not have you around to share with us as you so kindly do. I hope you have a great day and that all goes smoothly.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom