Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Define top breeders and I wanna see thier birds and thier eggs LOL! GLWT!

2. bigshawn

bigshawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Quote:Me to, I'm in the hunt for some for this spring but there are soooo many who have them selling them its hard to no where to go I want the best start I can get (noing Marans are a work in progress)........

Wouldn't the Marans Club be a better place to go to ask this question? Aren't they the ones actually breeding and promoting SOP Marans? Or am I misunderstanding the intent of the original question?

Does it really matter where I ask this ?, "where ever" there are marans owners and breeders wouldn't that be the place to ask this ?........, I have asked this ? on one of the Marans Clubs forum and got no answers...............

3. bigshawn

Aug 25, 2011
    Quote:I want to see there birds and eggs as well thats why I'm asking, as for defineing "top breeder" I think its exsplains itself..........

4. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    It might be easier and ask who has the best colored Marans eggs and who has the Best SOP type Marans fowl.

The darkest eggs I have seen are from NY and Sterling Sue owns them.

5. bigshawn

Aug 25, 2011
    Quote:Oh ok, sorry for the confusion, Dark eggs with bird that also have the Best SOP...........

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    OK, now this is just my own opinion....
    Funny, well not so funny story.
    I showed my Marans cockerel at a show last month.
    He took Best of Breed. The guy whose birds I beat went nuts. His arms were waving all over the place all afternoon.
    I was afraid to check my birds food and water, for fear of an altercation.
    He said he was going to dispute the win.
    He had just bought his birds from Dick Dickerson, and had paid alot of money for them.
    I had to ask the judge if I could go home, I am still kind of new at this.
    He said his decision was final.
    I posted what happened here the next day, and then I got to thinking....
    What do you do with YOUR culls?
    If the bird is that good, it won't be for sale, especially in this breed.
    It is going to take alot of work, and time, and research to get a good bird.
    Some get lucky (like me), others, it takes time.
    This is a very competitive breed right now. Good luck getting your answers.

7. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Will offer some advice on what to look for in Marans when asking breeders about buying eggs and chicks. Ask for picture showing entire comb on both sides so you can look for sprig and Carnation Comb as most do not know what they are if you ask.

Ask for a clean picture showing the Shank and toe feathering.

Get enough pictures so you can see if there is white in wing and tail, also look for white undercolor under the hackle and back feathers. If just starting out with BC would not buy eggs from anyone on ebay or BYC to start with.

8. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:Wouldn't the Marans Club be a better place to go to ask this question? Aren't they the ones actually breeding and promoting SOP Marans? Or am I misunderstanding the intent of the original question?

Does it really matter where I ask this ?, "where ever" there are marans owners and breeders wouldn't that be the place to ask this ?........, I have asked this ? on one of the Marans Clubs forum and got no answers...............

Just wondering when you ask the question here - how are you going to know if the person answering actually is qualified to answer. [​IMG] Not much different than buying eggs or birds just on their word.

(I like snowbird's answers .... )

9. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Bigshawn, Don (snowbird) is a judge, and knows his stuff. He doesn't candy coat anything, and I have learned alot from him.

10. bigshawn

Aug 25, 2011
    Quote:Humm, interesting story and thank you for your reply, I have found out this very thing without owning even one marans which leads me here to see what many marans owners think...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by