Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. RedBugPoultry

RedBugPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Jasper Co., S.C.
    So are most people seeing the carnation combs in the Wade Jeane line of birds? Just asking because my second batch of chicks which are said to be from Jeane line birds (and I believe to be true), and are from a different breeder than my first sad batch of chicks, has a cockerel with a developing carnation comb. I only see one cockerel with the problem out of 5 but it is there. I have decided to go with this hatch as I am getting too much money into my birds now to just cull everyone. I will be doing some future culling for sure but I have more eggs in the incubator from this breeder and all chicks are coming from very nice colored eggs! I guess I will have some work a head of me.

I think one of the problems is there are breeder that just do not know. This person has been raising marans for over 4 years and said they had not seen any carnation combs in their birds. He started with eggs from a family member and has not introduced any other line into his birds. I think he is a very honest man and from the pictures I have seen of his birds they are beautiful. Maybe I am just getting those few lucky eggs. They give me something to work with though and his eggs are beautiful. [​IMG]

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:It is showing up in many lines of birds . . . you just never know WHEN something got mixed in. The thoughts are it is a recessive trait that requires both parents to be carring a gene for it to occur. That is the thought that is being tested by some of the folks that are suddenly having it show up in their lines.

The thoughts are that sometimes a warning will show up as a sprig that folks ignored and then bred. The next generation produces more of an issue with carnation combs.

3. RedBugPoultry

RedBugPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Jasper Co., S.C.
    Quote:It is showing up in many lines of birds . . . you just never know WHEN something got mixed in. The thoughts are it is a recessive trait that requires both parents to be carring a gene for it to occur. That is the thought that is being tested by some of the folks that are suddenly having it show up in their lines.

The thoughts are that sometimes a warning will show up as a sprig that folks ignored and then bred. The next generation produces more of an issue with carnation combs.

Humm, that is good to know. I would have culled any sprigs anyway but now I will have to really watch for them. It is funny that the roos show it more then the hens so far.

4. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I've had this described as a double crettilion. Is that similar to a carnation comb?
    [​IMG]

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Can't see too well. Do you have another shot?

6. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    I love Black Copper Marans, but they're so expensive. Do you experienced Marans people think it would be best to buy a few good chicks and breed them? Or, should I get a BCM rooster and breed him with some cheap Cucoo Marans? Brand new to this! I'm not looking to be a breeder. Just want some pretty chickens and pretty eggs.[​IMG]

7. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    If you breed a BCM with cuckoo, you are just going to move backwards if you are looking for SOP.
    I think the expense you are talking about is the shipping to Ak?

8. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    Yes, and I've seen one or two BCMs up here on Craigslist. So, maybe I should order, like, five straight run BCMS from a reputable place in the Lower 48 and, hopefully, hatch out chicks once they're grown up?[​IMG]

9. Hollyoak Ranch

Hollyoak Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Quote:[​IMG] Yeah, I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one too. When I tell people my birds are "purebred" I feel like crossing my fingers because I know they are not. But I guess you could also make the argument that dogs aren't really either. They started out as one thing eons ago but have since been bred true to type. So I reason that the "purebred" chickens are birds that are breeding true to type also - it just doesn't take as long or as many generations to set that type as it does in dogs.

It has been a real learning experience so far - enough to tell me I have a ton more to learn. I have observed that in BCMs the type is all over the place. Maybe because there are so many more people breeding them. I dunno. My current flock has birds from a few different breeders and not one of those batches hatched consistent type birds. They all look like BCMs, but they are all different looking - if that makes any sense at all. With my Barnevelders and Light Sussex, those birds hatched out like cookie cutter birds. At least to my novice eye at this point. I reason that is because so few are breeding them the stock is largely inbred so the type is set and consistent. These are just my observations to date and not from any sort of real chicken breeding knowledge. I could be all wet.

Susan

10. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:We have a gal with the same dilemma in Hawaii
    In my opinion, it's best to have good stock shipped in, and go from there. That way, when someone else wants BCM next year, you can make the money off of them.
    And with a clear head, knowing you did the right thing.
    Roberta

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by