Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by geebs, Jan 26, 2011.

1. RedBugPoultry

RedBugPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Jasper Co., S.C.
    Quote:Now remember it is more than just sprigs. Hens can develop big, wobbly combs from what I understand too, which is an indicator. It might be better to see what a comb should look like and then know variances from that are not normal. [​IMG]

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Gosh, this makes my head hurt. I have 2 more sets of egg in my incubator from the same breeder that my hutch chicks are from--I still think I will keep the nicest carnation comb I get from that lot and test from there. I will at least have a better idea of what I am dealing with. It will take time but either way a person goes will take time and I plan on keeping the hens I think are undesirable and putting them in my laying pen anyway. Roosters will go to freezer camp!

The persons birds I got these eggs from are beautiful! Nice colors and very nice leg feathering. My first batch of chicks are across the board. I guess we will see what the next 2 batches give us. [​IMG]

Yeah...mine too!

VC~ Thank you. And you are absolutely right about the culling of many nice birds.....I have culled some very nice birds because of all of this.

I'm going to digest all of this and rethink how I plan to test my birds or if I am going to just do it the way I had planned. Thanks again Roger. Don't be surprised if you see some PM's from me....it's been a very long while since we chatted about our birdies anyway. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  3. VillageChicken

VillageChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That is very typical. Even in single matings I see some variation. Far less than when hatching from an entire flock, but even here in Europe, when I'm "shopping" I see huge variation in birds and their offspring.

I don't think anyone has bred Marans down to "cookie cutter" exact replicas yet. Not even sure if it's genetically possible. But we should be able to at least get them to the point where there's no green legs, sprigs or bare shanks.

4. RedBugPoultry

RedBugPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Jasper Co., S.C.
    Quote:That is very typical. Even in single matings I see some variation. Far less than when hatching from an entire flock, but even here in Europe, when I'm "shopping" I see huge variation in birds and their offspring.

I don't think anyone has bred Marans down to "cookie cutter" exact replicas yet. Not even sure if it's genetically possible. But we should be able to at least get them to the point where there's no green legs, sprigs or bare shanks.

Yes, I do understand that now. When I got the eggs for my first 2 girls they hatched out to look like their parents. I so wish I had gotten a cockerel from the hatch as the farm I got them from is really too far to drive to again. I do not think the person still has the birds either. Well, I guess this makes it more interesting anyway. Thank you for your time and knowledge with this! I am sure I will have more questions for you and others! [​IMG]

5. VillageChicken

I have a question about wing carriage. I know wing carriage is not supposed to be too low - I've had other breeds that hold their wings down low like seramas, but my marans are usually not too low. I think I remember Don complimenting someone's chicks because their wing carriage was nice and high. But is it possible for them to be too high? I have a marans roo that carries his wings practically up on his back, and it almost gives him a roachback look. How much back should you see between the wings ideally?

6. fowlman01

fowlman01 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:Yes, occasionally they can be too high. The wings you describe sound too high. The Marans calls for wing carriage to be nearly horizontal. The bottom of the wing to be horizontal with the ground.

Walt

7. VillageChicken

Thanks, that's very helpful. I don't know why I don't remember ever reading that.

8. alaina

alaina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    North middle TN
    Got my very first egg from my BCM hen that hatched June 18th!!! Nice dark brown color and pretty good sized too!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. VillageChicken

6 months old is great, especially in mid-winter. Some wait til spring, especially wheatens. Congrats!

10. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:Congratulations!

Of course you know now the addiction to Marans just became even stronger and you will never be able to break free of their spell. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by