Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I have a BCM that just started squatting for me a couple of weeks ago. I haven't found any dark eggs yet, but I have found some medium brown eggs with darker spots that I'm unsure who laid them. Do marans eggs start out lighter when they first start laying?

I have a BCM that just started squatting for me a couple of weeks ago. I haven't found any dark eggs yet, but I have found some medium brown eggs with darker spots that I'm unsure who laid them. Do marans eggs start out lighter when they first start laying?
Sometimes, they do darken up as they go...sometimes not. Do you know if she came from a very dark egg?

Concerning egg color, does everyone's older, say 2 and up hens egg color drop off? Either the raccoon got all my darkest egg laying hens, or these hens are just getting older.

Concerning egg color, does everyone's older, say 2 and up hens egg color drop off? Either the raccoon got all my darkest egg laying hens, or these hens are just getting older.
Yes, definitely. The older they get, the lighter the eggs will be. However, all offspring will have the genetics for dark egg laying; I always keep several shells from when they are laying their darkest so I can send a sample to folks purchasing hatching eggs, so that they can see the potential for color of egg they may get.

Yes, definitely. The older they get, the lighter the eggs will be. However, all offspring will have the genetics for dark egg laying; I always keep several shells from when they are laying their darkest so I can send a sample to folks purchasing hatching eggs, so that they can see the potential for color of egg they may get.
Thanks,
I was wondering about that. I do have at least one hen that is laying a dark, 6 or 7, egg, and she's the same age as all the other hens. I'm keeping those eggs separate in the incubator so I can keep track, and see if any hens hatched from those eggs keep laying darker as they get older.

How about just before a molt? I bought some hens that are showing signs of molt, one girls egg is around a 3 color. Previous owner said that one hen normally lays a 5, so not super dark... But is that something that is normal or should I cull the offender

Hi! I just got my first eggs this week from some BCM purchased last year, I thought they would never lay. They are nice big dark eggs. If I can I will put some pics on here. Also wanted a connection to the thread with out subscribing.

Back
Top Bottom