Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I have a cuckoo marans that lays eggs like this -- only lighter then my BCMs. They are the most beautiful, smooth, and evenly colored eggs coming out of my coops!

She's in with a BCM roo. The last few days I've been wondering if her chicks will lay that same type of egg with a darker color because of the BCM roo? If so, is it possible to breed back to cuckoos or BCM and get back to a pure breed eventually, or have you forever created a mutt? (Although, I'd be happy with a mutt for eggs like that!)
big_smile.png

I have a cuckoo marans that lays eggs like this -- only lighter then my BCMs. They are the most beautiful, smooth, and evenly colored eggs coming out of my coops!

She's in with a BCM roo. The last few days I've been wondering if her chicks will lay that same type of egg with a darker color because of the BCM roo? If so, is it possible to breed back to cuckoos or BCM and get back to a pure breed eventually, or have you forever created a mutt? (Although, I'd be happy with a mutt for eggs like that!)
big_smile.png
All you have created is Sexlinks. The roos are mutts. The eggs might darken you just never know.

Well no marans for me at the moment the lady changed her mind doesn't want to sell them as St. Run day olds only started pullets. I think I'll take my 10 dollars per chick elsewhere.
Give it a few weeks. We have not started hatching here yet and I know that there are other breeders who still have not started hatching. Once everyone gets started back hatching, you will be able to find Black Copper chicks,

Ernie Haire
Arp, Texas

Congrats! Here is some of what you have to look forward to, hatched this weekend. There are 7 but they were not cooperating tonight for the photo op :)

and hopefully lots of these:

so nice to see this picture! I have 7 BCM eggs under my friend's silkie (thanks Barbara!) that are 19 days now, and her other broody Buff is sitting on 9 more due 8 days later and growling like a panther anytime we come near her! I can't wait!
wee.gif
It's SO hard not to count your chickies before they're hatched, isn't it??? This is my first experience with chicks, I have only been keeping chickens since July last year and have learned SO much from all these forums. thank you everyone! I hope to be putting some pix of the new chicks on here when they come!

Hello Everyone. I figured this would be the best place to post pics for the most accurate "guesstimates" lol. on gender of my FBCM's. I was going to post a new thread with pics and weekly updates...I may still do that, so others have something to compare it to as I have pics and video even of them hatching. That's what I've tried so hard to find the last week. I found a few but not many. I think only 1 for as young as my chicks are. Also my chicks seem to look as big as most do at 6 & 7 weeks, .....not sure what's going on BUT others I did see showed much more pink/red in the combs.
Fri, March 1 was exactly 3 weeks for my 5 little ones and they are growing like weeds! Just recently it's become pretty clear as far as feathering and tails ......if you could go on just that. I have 3 that look exactly alike as far as feathering/tails, and 2 that have the short little stubby tails and not many of their "true" feathers yet. So unfortunately I'm starting to think I have 3 roos and 2 pullets. I have plenty of pics so please take a look and let me know what you think! And obviously I can't keep 3 roos so if anyone is in FL and looking for a BCM
big_smile.png
I'm hoping somebody will tell me I'm wrong and I don't have 3 roo's but it just seems when 3 look exactly alike and 2 look exactly alike it's kind of obvious.

Chick #1 - Lucy Lucy has a story I won't go into all the details but she was the very 1st to pip and the very last to hatch and that was basically with me doing all the hard work....but certainly NOT for lack of her trying!! I will say that! She was by far the smallest in the beginning but she caught up quick.

Just included this because you can see her copper just barely showing in the bright sunlight ....and I only got this picture because I think someone is jealous. (tried to take a picture of someone else and she stuck her head in the way, lol)

Chick #1 & #2 together.
I think these are my only 2 pullets. They have the same tails, same feathering, are the same size, and these 2 were the last 2 hatched....just about 2 hours apart. They also had to be bathed the next morning after staying in the incubator over night to dry. They had quite a bit of goop in their feathers ....my guess was since they took the longest to hatch?? These 2 hatched on Feb 8th. The 3 I believe to be roos all karate kicked their way out on Feb.7th! ....anybody experience this with males & females??

Chick#2 Mardis Gras pullet??
fl.gif

Chick#2 Mardis Gras

Chick#2 Mardis Gras (with #1 Lucy and Chick#3 behind)

Chick #3 (roo?) never got a name because this was one I was holding out hope for but I think that's silly now

Chick #3 (roo?)

I mean holy cow ...look at the difference in feathers, tail. legs and overall size!? For the 1st week it was hard to tell. the 2nd I was still guessing ....now I think I'm in denial
fl.gif
lol This is #3 and Lucy

Chick #3 even has fully feathered legs where as the 2 I think look like pullets just have lightly feathered closer to the feet

Chick #4 Blade...
he got his name because he had a yellow/copper splash on his right shoulder blade, which you can barely see a tad left ....it basically disappeared overnight and turned into nice shiny dark black feathers. I've just included this one pic of him because honestly all 3 of "the roos" (I'm guessing) all look the same. I always know the next one down, "Zebra" he is definitely "King of the Castle" but #3 and #4 (Blade) I have to really look hard at to figure out who is who.

Chick#5 Zebra ...got his name from the coloring around the eye. None of them really had real names was waiting to see "what they were" but you have to try to tell them apart somehow lol
I knew Zebra was a roo pretty much right away ....this is 1 week old with those nice wings and we are relaxing in the garage by a little electric fireplace and he plops down in front of me, sprawls out and rolls over as if begging for a belly rub like my dogs do. If that doesn't scream male I don't know what does! hahahaha

He is always watching over his flock ...even at only 3 weeks old. I have the door open to the pen when I'm in the garage working, so he comes and perches on the ledge of the door while the other 4 are asleep in the very back. He's the reason that water dish got moved onto a cup. He was the 1st to start perching on top of it. He also refuses to eat from anywhere other than INSIDE the food tray. HE's a HE!!!
lau.gif
but he also has the most pronounced comb and wattle

close up of Zebra and this was about 4-5 days ago

Thanks for looking at all the pics. I'm anxious to see what all you experts think. This was my 1st hatch and my 1st experience with BCM's

Hello Everyone. I figured this would be the best place to post pics for the most accurate "guesstimates" lol. on gender of my FBCM's. I was going to post a new thread with pics and weekly updates...I may still do that, so others have something to compare it to as I have pics and video even of them hatching. That's what I've tried so hard to find the last week. I found a few but not many. I think only 1 for as young as my chicks are. Also my chicks seem to look as big as most do at 6 & 7 weeks, .....not sure what's going on BUT others I did see showed much more pink/red in the combs. Fri, March 1 was exactly 3 weeks for my 5 little ones and they are growing like weeds! Just recently it's become pretty clear as far as feathering and tails ......if you could go on just that. I have 3 that look exactly alike as far as feathering/tails, and 2 that have the short little stubby tails and not many of their "true" feathers yet. So unfortunately I'm starting to think I have 3 roos and 2 pullets. I have plenty of pics so please take a look and let me know what you think! And obviously I can't keep 3 roos so if anyone is in FL and looking for a BCM :D I'm hoping somebody will tell me I'm wrong and I don't have 3 roo's but it just seems when 3 look exactly alike and 2 look exactly alike it's kind of obvious. Chick #1 - Lucy Lucy has a story I won't go into all the details but she was the very 1st to pip and the very last to hatch and that was basically with me doing all the hard work....but certainly NOT for lack of her trying!! I will say that! She was by far the smallest in the beginning but she caught up quick. Just included this because you can see her copper just barely showing in the bright sunlight ....and I only got this picture because I think someone is jealous. (tried to take a picture of someone else and she stuck her head in the way, lol) Chick #1 & #2 together. I think these are my only 2 pullets. They have the same tails, same feathering, are the same size, and these 2 were the last 2 hatched....just about 2 hours apart. They also had to be bathed the next morning after staying in the incubator over night to dry. They had quite a bit of goop in their feathers ....my guess was since they took the longest to hatch?? These 2 hatched on Feb 8th. The 3 I believe to be roos all karate kicked their way out on Feb.7th! ....anybody experience this with males & females?? Chick#2 Mardis Gras pullet??:fl Chick#2 Mardis Gras Chick#2 Mardis Gras (with #1 Lucy and Chick#3 behind) Chick #3 (roo?) never got a name because this was one I was holding out hope for but I think that's silly now Chick #3 (roo?) I mean holy cow ...look at the difference in feathers, tail. legs and overall size!? For the 1st week it was hard to tell. the 2nd I was still guessing ....now I think I'm in denial :fl lol This is #3 and Lucy Chick #3 even has fully feathered legs where as the 2 I think look like pullets just have lightly feathered closer to the feet Chick #4 Blade... he got his name because he had a yellow/copper splash on his right shoulder blade, which you can barely see a tad left ....it basically disappeared overnight and turned into nice shiny dark black feathers. I've just included this one pic of him because honestly all 3 of "the roos" (I'm guessing) all look the same. I always know the next one down, "Zebra" he is definitely "King of the Castle" but #3 and #4 (Blade) I have to really look hard at to figure out who is who. Chick#5 Zebra ...got his name from the coloring around the eye. None of them really had real names was waiting to see "what they were" but you have to try to tell them apart somehow lol I knew Zebra was a roo pretty much right away ....this is 1 week old with those nice wings and we are relaxing in the garage by a little electric fireplace and he plops down in front of me, sprawls out and rolls over as if begging for a belly rub like my dogs do. If that doesn't scream male I don't know what does! hahahaha He is always watching over his flock ...even at only 3 weeks old. I have the door open to the pen when I'm in the garage working, so he comes and perches on the ledge of the door while the other 4 are asleep in the very back. He's the reason that water dish got moved onto a cup. He was the 1st to start perching on top of it. He also refuses to eat from anywhere other than INSIDE the food tray. HE's a HE!!!:lau but he also has the most pronounced comb and wattle close up of Zebra and this was about 4-5 days ago Thanks for looking at all the pics. I'm anxious to see what all you experts think. This was my 1st hatch and my 1st experience with BCM's
Same as other inquiry. You really wont b able to tell til they are about 4 wks. Pullets shouldn't have any copper on them but around the hackle (neck) my experience any copper shows on head or in wings end up cockeral. Pullets can show mossyness which would be more of a sponging type look on the lace of the feathers. That should molt out with juve molt. Biggest definer will b that comb pinking up. Most of the cockerals I've had also had much heavier shank (leg) feathering.

Back
Top Bottom