Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Every time I've hatched, or bought chicks, the ones with the most white on them ended up being roosters,  worked for me!

Wow! That would be sweet! Out of my five, two have lots of white, and the other three are almost completely black.

But, as to how much copper will show, I must be patient, right? :D

Wow! That would be sweet! Out of my five, two have lots of white, and the other three are almost completely black.

But, as to how much copper will show, I must be patient, right?
big_smile.png

Yeah, with the pullets, they looked identical, but one has a lot of different traits than the other, but you can usually tell by five weeks who has the most copper.

Yeah, with the pullets, they looked identical, but one has a lot of different traits than the other, but you can usually tell by five weeks who has the most copper.
Would like to clear up a couple of recent post here. You do not want the Copper on the pullet to show up to quick and heavy as it will have too much color.

The chicks with the most white on their head does not designate a male. The ones with the large amount will have very little Copper male or female. I have hatched out and grown out lots of BC Marans . The large amount of White Chicks will usually have very little copper when they are female.
We should be careful when we make a statement on BYC as there are a lot of beginners that believe everything they read here.

Would like to clear up a couple of recent post here. You do not want the Copper on the pullet to show up to quick and heavy as it will have too much color.

The chicks with the most white on their head does not designate a male. The ones with the large amount will have very little Copper male or female. I have hatched out and grown out lots of BC Marans . The large amount of White Chicks will usually have very little copper when they are female.
We should be careful when we make a statement on BYC as there are a lot of beginners that believe everything they read here.

Well, I guess I will have to take good pictures and then keep track of them.

How old do they have to be before they are close enough to their final adult coloring that you can tell what you have? In regards to amount of copper, and how close they will be to the standard?

Well, I guess I will have to take good pictures and then keep track of them.

How old do they have to be before they are close enough to their final adult coloring that you can tell what you have? In regards to amount of copper, and how close they will be to the standard?
In the batch I have, the boys with way too much color showed up early; I started culling them out at 3=4 months. Now I am down to 5 (from about 12) and each has good and bad points. I posted them on this thread and will be culling one more. they are now 6 and 7 months old. I will probably start test mating and hatching as soon as I get all my girls sorted out. I am lucky I have a fair amount of space and can keep these guys at least for awhile longer.

I see "too much color" come up a lot. Would someone be kind enough to clarify that for me?
big_smile.png
Is it color in the wrong places (like chest)? Or is it referring to the shade of color? Thanks!

Just sharing my experience, and the ones with lot's of white never had less color than the others, and I meant the overall amount was more than the females, maybe that's just in my strain. Didn't show up quick and heavy., just could tell who was getting it, and who wasn't...

I see "too much color" come up a lot. Would someone be kind enough to clarify that for me?
big_smile.png
Is it color in the wrong places (like chest)? Or is it referring to the shade of color? Thanks!
Mainly color in the wrong places and way too much on the breast The ideal breeding male in the BC Marans would be one with no copper on the breast. If you get females from the over white chicks that have no copper in the Hackle, there is no reason that these can not be bred to a good colored Male that is from good bred Marans.

Hopefully this week if it isn't too hot will start posting pictures of the BC Marans from the eggs we purchased. These will have most of the faults you have heard of here on BYC . They will be posted on my profile page under chicks and eggs. Will let all know when the first one goes up.

Hopefully this week if it isn't too hot will start posting pictures of the BC Marans from the eggs we purchased. These will have most of the faults you have heard of here on BYC . They will be posted on my profile page under chicks and eggs. Will let all know when the first one goes up.

Great! Thanks Don!

Back
Top Bottom