Black Copper Marans discussion thread

At what age do Black Copper chicks start showing color. I have a couple out of my hatch last week that have copper wing feathers. Is this an indication of possibly being cockerels or just a sign of being mossy birds.

S
YES REALLY ! !! My cousin was stationed at various bases throughout Europe. He and his wife were chicken lovers as well so before returning to the states they bought 4 dozen eggs and brought them back on the flight to their base.

If I can ask why does that seem to shock you so ??

importing chickens or hatching eggs into the US requires lots of paperwork and quarantining just really hard.

At what age do Black Copper chicks start showing color. I have a couple out of my hatch last week that have copper wing feathers. Is this an indication of possibly being cockerels or just a sign of being mossy birds.
mossy is not really solid color it like flecks of color....like when you were a kid and flicked paint off a toothbrush. I think that bird is a roo. roos can only show red color like copper on the wings like that. I had several roos show color early. he might be over colored so keep an eye on him.

mossy is not really solid color it like flecks of color....like when you were a kid and flicked paint off a toothbrush.

I think that bird is a roo. roos can only show red color like copper on the wings like that. I had several roos show color early. he might be over colored so keep an eye on him.
there's another one in that group that has it too and both have slow developing tail feathers compared to the others. actually 3 of the 5 are lacking in the tail feather department right now at 1 week old but the other doesnt have the color on its wings. im thinking i have 3 roos and 2 pullets but time will tell lol.

mossy is not really solid color it like flecks of color....like when you were a kid and flicked paint off a toothbrush.

I think that bird is a roo. roos can only show red color like copper on the wings like that. I had several roos show color early. he might be over colored so keep an eye on him.

there's another one in that group that has it too and both have slow developing tail feathers compared to the others. actually 3 of the 5 are lacking in the tail feather department right now at 1 week old but the other doesnt have the color on its wings. im thinking i have 3 roos and 2 pullets but time will tell lol.

I don't rely on feather as an indicator. combs are pretty reliable in my birds. roos get larger combs almost at hatch and they get pink pretty quick.

I don't rely on feather as an indicator. combs are pretty reliable in my birds. roos get larger combs almost at hatch and they get pink pretty quick.

Ya theres a definite difference in their combs also. The 3 suspected roos have a little bigger combs and more color. The other 2 have smaller darker combs. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

importing chickens or hatching eggs into the US requires lots of paperwork and quarantining just really hard.
I agree and from what I understand he had the needed paperwork and health certificates for leaving France and entering the US. Also it was my understanding that him being a USAF Captain and flying in military aircraft to a base in the US helped streamline the process just a bit.

I have imported dogs from Italy and Germany and its not near the headache that poultry or anything that can be a food source is...and rightfully so !

Back
Top Bottom