Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I knew what you meant. With my rooster, I got rid of the ones that were darker... maybe should have kept them. I personally like the French Standard... when I first started looking with this I read the French Standard and it said you could have some red speckling on the breast.. they say the American standard should be black. That is a big difference.

I knew what you meant. With my rooster, I got rid of the ones that were darker... maybe should have kept them. I personally like the French Standard... when I first started looking with this I read the French Standard and it said you could have some red speckling on the breast.. they say the American standard should be black. That is a big difference.

Actually the American SOP states you can have up to 10% copper on the chest. And I'm sure they base it of 10% of the total surface area that should be black. Most breeders believe if your using a male to produce females, a little color is good to add color to the females.

The problem with young males is, you have to find a developmental balance. It would be best raising your chicks and watching the stages your line and birds turn into. They need to develop at a steady pace for color. They should gain color to quickly or remain to dark and not get enough. Most breeders on here will say that when chicks grow and start throwing copper very early its a sign they will get to much when they are adults. But the best thing I would say is raise them, take notes, see what issues your line has and make changes. If you get to much copper to soon, then changes need to be made. That goes for everything.

Actually the American SOP states you can have up to 10% copper on the chest. And I'm sure they base it of 10% of the total surface area that should be black. Most breeders believe if your using a male to produce females, a little color is good to add color to the females.

The problem with young males is, you have to find a developmental balance. It would be best raising your chicks and watching the stages your line and birds turn into. They need to develop at a steady pace for color. They should gain color to quickly or remain to dark and not get enough. Most breeders on here will say that when chicks grow and start throwing copper very early its a sign they will get to much when they are adults. But the best thing I would say is raise them, take notes, see what issues your line has and make changes. If you get to much copper to soon, then changes need to be made. That goes for everything.

one slight correction NO PRECENT IS GIVIEN IN THE STANDARD. that is just a guess that has been tossed around. it says something like some color or copper is allowed. the less the better for showing and breeding really.

one slight correction NO PRECENT IS GIVIEN IN THE STANDARD. that is just a guess that has been tossed around. it says something like some color or copper is allowed. the less the better for showing and breeding really.

Well you may be correct in that assessment, I have not taken out my SOP out in a while. However, whether it is or isn't there, the 10% whether stated in the SOP or not, breeders and Judges try for 10% or less. The chest is suppose to be Black. That is stated in the SOP. The amount of copper feathers in the chest is incorrect for the American Standard. If someone is partial to liking something on their birds, or prefer to like or interpret the French Standard, whatever floats their boat. But most people come here to ask for advice to breed to the American SOP. They can listen, or disregard the advice.

And last post wasn't meant to be disrespectful. Some people like copper chests. And DMR, last post was not meant to be directed at you. Just in general.

I don't show chickens and never will and you may be correct about the 10% at shows and from judges. I was only correcting your comment

the American SOP states you can have up to 10% it does NOT STATE A PERCENT IN THE SOP

You will also not find Marans in the current SOP they were admitted too late for inclusion. there are several thread that have the standard on BYC and you can also get it from the Marans club sites..... not sure which one is the one that got them admitted but theirs would be the GOLD standard for Marans. I can't post links from my phone. maybe Wynette or math ace could post those links for you.

Last edited:
T
I don't show chickens and never will and you may be correct about the 10% at shows and from judges. I was only correcting your comment

the American SOP states you can have up to 10% it does NOT STATE A PERCENT IN THE SOP

You will also not find Marans in the current SOP they were admitted too late for inclusion. there are several thread that have the standard on BYC and you can also get it from the Marans club sites..... not sure which one is the one that got them admitted but theirs would be the GOLD standard for Marans. I can't post links from my phone. maybe Wynette or math ace could post those links for you.

That's fine, I don't mind being corrected when correction is due. I may have been reading so many posts and opinions and inserted 10% into the standard when its shouldn't be. But there has to be a line. When they say some copper, does that mean over 50% of thier breast have copper? I would say not. The SOP says black. So I think no more than 10% is accurate. And DMR, from what I have read in your posts, you are just as knowledgable as I am.

I have the APA book and a printed copy of the BCM SOP. Also the proposed Standard for the Birchens. So I'm covered.

Back
Top Bottom