Black Copper Marans discussion thread

With my birds, typically the eggs start darker and lighten through the laying cycle. I have had a few that start lighter (not the norm in my flock) and by the 3rd - 5th egg are as dark as they are going to get. The pic. is an example of one of those pullets. It is normal for the egg to be small at first. Blood lines are no guarantee for dark eggs. I have full sisters who lay different shades of brown/red/speckles.
Thank you, Zanna! This hen is in her first week of laying and the second hen hasn't started. Mainly just looking to a varity to my egg carton and add some BCM hens in with the BCM rooster we picked up a few weeks ago.

Question for the BCM chicken heads; My 25ish week old roo's comb is huge; the back end of his comb looks like an inverted rubber glove (waiting to be popped out) it's been like this since I got him.. Will this part of his comb pop out on its own? Then become even bigger...

Question for the BCM chicken heads; My 25ish week old roo's comb is huge; the back end of his comb looks like an inverted rubber glove (waiting to be popped out) it's been like this since I got him.. Will this part of his comb pop out on its own? Then become even bigger...

What you have is a Marans with the unwanted Carnation Comb, this should be culled if you are breeding to the APA SOP.

i knew them all but thought parsimoniously was referring to the color.

the mahogany is a deep deep red color. look up a partridge rock and a high quality Blue laced red wyandotte that is the look of mahogany.

was the kind of edification you were looking for?

side note.... I worked at a college and we had a student from Korea and we were kind a friend's and she asked me one day about some words she learned growing up andbsaid no one here knew what she was talking about and I asked her what kinds of words and it was sad to think no one else she had meet in the US knew those words....but me really? we need to use our vocabularies!

I have been away from the thread for a few days and need a little more information. Does persimmonous actually mean " to appear all puckered up and unable to speak"?

I have been away from the thread for a few days and need a little more information. Does persimmonous actually mean " to appear all puckered up and unable to speak"?

From Merriam-Webster dictionary: Parsimonius means "frugal to the point of stinginess " in this case, very small and sparing amounts of brown spots on the breast.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom