Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Aloha,

I have some newborn BCMs and most of their feet are not slate, more like yellow ish. Will it change to slate later on?

Mahalo, Puhi
Aloha Puhi~
E komo mai! Where did you get BCM in the islands? I will be moving to the Big Island in a couple of years and I will have to start over unless I can bring some hatching eggs with me on that much-anticipated one-way flight. Great to see da kine on da list!

Aloha,

I shipped from mainland - survivalseedsowers on Ebay. I know people talk stink about ebay eggs but theyʻre cheaper and Iʻve had bad quality from "breeders" too. This is the best one so far for BCMs. All but one were fertile with 4 late quitters. 7 hatched. Dark eggs.

Where do you live now? What kine chickens do you have?

kden, Puhi

Aloha,

I shipped from mainland - survivalseedsowers on Ebay. I know people talk stink about ebay eggs but theyʻre cheaper and Iʻve had bad quality from "breeders" too. This is the best one so far for BCMs. All but one were fertile with 4 late quitters. 7 hatched. Dark eggs.

kden, Puhi

There are several people in Hawaii that have Marans. There was a lady on here for a good while in Hawaii with marans. I can't remember her call on here....... hum..... She did nail.... finger Nails and was kinda well known for them too.......

Aloha,

kden, Puhi
Are you familiar with the Marans egg color chart? If so, what number would you say your eggs were? I have my first batch of eggs in the incubator as a test run right now at day 10 (7 are BBS Marans and developing, the others are barnyard mix from a friend). 8 so far were infertile (her cock is older). My BCMs came from #6-7 eggs but my eggs are #5-6 so far from these young girls.

When shipping from the mainland, how do you get the USPS to keep them in the pressurized/temp appropriate area? HI is so careful about live animals/plants/seeds I have wondered about the Dept. of Ag and eggs. I read here somewhere that a person flew to the Phillipines with hatching eggs in a picnic basket like they were hardboiled! Don't know how to get around airport x-ray, etc. and I'm too honest to lie. When I move to the Big Island I will probably have people here that will ship eggs for me from my own flock. I know people ship day old chicks to the islands so there is a way for me to get good birds when we are settled in Puna.

My partner lived 18+ years on Kaua`i. We are living now in NW Oregon and have just started with BCM and BBS Marans as breeding project. I haven't had roosters in 30 years or so, but now I sure do! There are 2 BCM cockerels and 2 blue copper cockerels (4-10 months) that I am waiting to evaluate as to who gets to stay. There are 5 BCM pullets, 2 blue copper pullets, and one pullet sold to me as blue who may be a blue copper without the copper since they are so rare.

The 2-year-old layer flock has RIR, GLW, Welsummer, and blue Wyandottes but I will sell them as soon as the new layer pullets start with the eggs. They are splash BLRW, BR, Golden Buff (sexlink), SS, white crested blue Polish, and a cute little MF d'Uccle pair.

If you do facebook, would you do us the kindness of liking and recommending our coffee page? It would really help us spread the word: www.facebook.com/Ihilani.Coffee.Company. Mahalo nui! (ANYONE else is invited to check out the coffee page and like/recommend!
fl.gif
)

PS: I just noticed this is page 808
wink.png

celebrate.gif

There are several people in Hawaii that have Marans. There was a lady on here for a good while in Hawaii with marans. I can't remember her call on here....... hum..... She did nail.... finger Nails and was kinda well known for them too.......
Mahalo. Each island is a country unto itself almost...so different. If she is on the Big Island I can probably find her. When I get there I will ask around. There is a woman very near our land that advertises a lot on CL and obviously raises a lot of birds but so far nothing very rare. I assume she has hatching going on. So far all I've seen on CL (not from her) are white-legged and unfeathered shanks.

I saw your PM about the BBS, thanks.

Last edited:
Aloha kākou,

There are plenty of people on the Big Island who have BCMs. Craigʻslist has many ads. So you should be able to find them. Cream Legbars and true araucanas are more hard to find.

Eggs shipped from mainland should be registered with Dept. of Ag from an NPIP farmer. Most have bad hatch rates. 7/12 was a great hatch rate.

I almost have what I want.

Aloha, Puhi

While some would not appreciate the corrections, I do. How will new people know unless someone educates them? I have a question...I tend toward Marans because the breed is named after a place in France, which is always a capitalized proper noun. What do you think? In posts sometimes I will type bbs marans and others BBS Marans. (Also, newbies and others...the "s" is silent when spoken)
Yes, please keep correcting. At least for me. It doesn't hurt my feelings to be corrected at all. I want to know the truth. Even if I'm wrong I would rather learn the right way to say or spell things. I hate it when people shorten my given name without asking me. They will see Kimberly and say Kim. Ok so I will use the first three letters of their names and they look at me like I'm crazy without realizing that's what they just did to me. It's important to know things. On the other hand, my internet name Viollettt, I love when I'm called Vi (Vie). Go figure but I picked that name myself. The other one was given to me and then never used for anything but legal documents. Now to just stop myself from saying the silent "S" that I just learned to make sure I used. :)

Yes, please keep correcting. At least for me. It doesn't hurt my feelings to be corrected at all. I want to know the truth. Even if I'm wrong I would rather learn the right way to say or spell things. I hate it when people shorten my given name without asking me. They will see Kimberly and say Kim. Ok so I will use the first three letters of their names and they look at me like I'm crazy without realizing that's what they just did to me. It's important to know things. On the other hand, my internet name Viollettt, I love when I'm called Vi (Vie). Go figure but I picked that name myself. The other one was given to me and then never used for anything but legal documents. Now to just stop myself from saying the silent "S" that I just learned to make sure I used. :)
Two years of French classes helped.
smile.png

Two years of French classes helped.
smile.png
Haha. Just this summer my broody (now I'm second guessing broody and broodie) hen hatched out some Copper Marans chicks and I have kept one of the blue copper Marans cockerels. I named him Gilles (ZJeel) after Gilles Marini . If you know who that is he's a big hunk of man who is from France as is my Gilles. I speak to him in French. I only got one pullet from the bunch (hatch) and named her Collette. I should have realized the S is silent but was so intent on making sure I used the S I didn't even think of it. Bonjour!

P.S. to the Group: Sorry for being light-hearted about it all but I'm usually terribly serious. I have so much fun learning "chicken talk". From chickens and the people that love and breed them. I just raise them (and love them) and started reading this thread at BYC thinking I had a 50/25/25 shot at getting a black copper. Nope. Out of the seven that hatched I got six cockerels and one pullet. All blue. I learned that right here! Not a black in sight. My girl (pullet) looks so dark I was sure she was black from hatch but she's not a black at all.

However, I have learned so much from reading the posts in this thread. From start to finish. It has shaped my views and thoughts about all things chicken. I might use different terms and wrong terms and right terms in the wrong places. Any way you slice it, I'm here to live and learn and maybe teach, too.

I have learned so much from reading the posts in this thread. From start to finish. It has shaped my views and thoughts about all things chicken. I might use different terms and wrong terms and right terms in the wrong places. Any way you slice it, I'm here to live and learn and maybe teach, too.
AWESOME - love this!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom