Black Copper Marans discussion thread

This is the only BCM boy I kept from all that hatched. He was the best in there but still has some issues like color on his breast and I'm watching his comb. But he is nicely sized and has great shank feathering. He is 12 weeks old so I'm going to keep watching him before I decide I need to resource another one. Not sure if there is anything glaringly wrong that I am missing or if he has tell tale signs of something nefarious to come. He's got a great disposition but so do the whole bunch of them in there right now.

I would be so appreciative of any help or advice with my two males. My intentions are for my daughter to show at the fair,
and to sell a few extra hatching eggs & chicks that I might have in the process of hatching for myself. I also use my BCM male to hatch sex-links. Here are my 2 best males out of around 15 + males hatched this year. I've been keeping them both around for as long as I could, but I really should narrow it down to 1 for harmony in my small flock.

#1 is on the left and is about 8 months old. #2 is on the right and about 20 weeks old. This shows their usual stance. #1 is normally "scrunchy" like that, but has an enormous chest. #2 is just big - I love that about him. He also tends to stand more upright. Both have "halo" going on.

Top view of #1

#1 front view - big chest, wide back.

#2 top view

#2 Side View

Here's the catch: #2 has rudimentary toe. I've seen many of you say you would never breed a male that displays that. If it isn't a fault or DQ, could you explain why it's a problem for breeding?

Thank you for any insight you can give! (Yes, I'm ready to hear it - no matter how horrible!)

the rudimentary toe is not to be deducted for when showing bird with feathered legs. we don't breed them because it is genetic and will breed forward.

If they both have the "halo" I would not use either, personally. JMO. I cannot see it as the pics are a bit dark & from a bit far away. Could you possibly get closer pictures? I will say that #2 (in the last picture) appears to have quite good conformation. Correct topline, great tail angle, underline is nice...

the rudimentary toe is not to be deducted for when showing bird with feathered legs. we don't breed them because it is genetic and will breed forward.

Looking at my two males is there any way you would use him then? The females are completely unrelated from either of these males - does that matter?

I'm sorry...it's just very disappointing. I'm grasping at straws and trying to see if there's anyway it would be a good choice. Thanks.
th.gif

If they both have the "halo" I would not use either, personally. JMO. I cannot see it as the pics are a bit dark & from a bit far away. Could you possibly get closer pictures? I will say that #2 (in the last picture) appears to have quite good conformation. Correct topline, great tail angle, underline is nice...

I can get better pictures. The sun was right on us when I took those, but I was hoping you all could tell something from "type" if not color. He is impressive in his size and how he carries himself (to me, as a backyard keeper), which is why I'm so discouraged about not noticing those toes earlier.

This is the only BCM boy I kept from all that hatched. He was the best in there but still has some issues like color on his breast and I'm watching his comb. But he is nicely sized and has great shank feathering. He is 12 weeks old so I'm going to keep watching him before I decide I need to resource another one. Not sure if there is anything glaringly wrong that I am missing or if he has tell tale signs of something nefarious to come. He's got a great disposition but so do the whole bunch of them in there right now.

Even though he still is quite young, if you have the room, I would still look for another male. Good males are hard to find, and even if you find a nice one you don't know what he has in him. So test hatches take time as well. Now is the best time to find one. Everyone is thinning their flocks for the winter, so you may be able to find a couple to choose from. Plus as a bonus they will be a little older so you can judge them a bit better because they hatched in the spring. No growing them out and waiting. If your male grows up and doesnt turn out to be worth the hassle, you will be hard pressed to find a replacement. In my opinion, something about his chest doesnt look right aside from other concerns.

Even though he still is quite young, if you have the room, I would still look for another male. Good males are hard to find, and even if you find a nice one you don't know what he has in him. So test hatches take time as well. Now is the best time to find one. Everyone is thinning their flocks for the winter, so you may be able to find a couple to choose from. Plus as a bonus they will be a little older so you can judge them a bit better because they hatched in the spring. No growing them out and waiting. If your male grows up and doesnt turn out to be worth the hassle, you will be hard pressed to find a replacement. In my opinion, something about his chest doesnt look right aside from other concerns.
I noticed that too. Reminds me of a couple pullets I have with pendulous crop.

He looks like he is getting color in his breast...if so, then he will get more color and you don't want that. I prefer a rooster with a black breast or one that has no more than 10 colored feathers. Just my opinion....

Back
Top Bottom