Black Copper Marans discussion thread

I bought eggs from Survivalseedsowers in Missouri via Ebay. The eggs I received were certainly dark - 8 I believe. I had a great hatch of vigorous chicks. As they grow now, we do see some SOP problems like a white feather in rear and purplish hue along with green hue. Other than that, theyʻre great.

I also got eggs from Jbar farms(ʻIhilani Coffee) twice. The first batch(blues)had eggs with a color of about 6. Second batch(blacks)had some huge dark whoppers at about 7-8 darkness. I hatched out 10 fat bubbles.

Iʻm pretty sure the survivalseedsowers eggs were a little darker, but the Jbar Farms produce chickens much closer to SOP. So if youʻre near West Coast, you should give Candi a call.

Take care, Puhi

Dutchbunney83,

I have been pretty happy with last spring's grow out group. I kept one cockerel and 7 pullets from a grow out group of around 40 chicks. The Cockerel was a Reserve Champion Black Copper Marans out of 26 competitive entries and one of the hens has produced a few #8 eggs.

Here are her eggs that we entered in an egg show in January (they are the dark ones on the bottom row).

These birds are not perfect (as can be seen by the photos of the cockerel below) and I didn't breed them so their parent are not my farm, but they are about the closest I have found to what it looks like you are wanting.

Fantastic egg color.
This story reminds me of what Wynette has said before, in getting the Marans SOP, it is super hard, as we are not just dealing with a bird's physical characteristics, but their egg color too, unique in the APA so far as I know !
Wise words !

Fantastic egg color.
This story reminds me of what Wynette has said before, in getting the Marans SOP, it is super hard, as we are not just dealing with a bird's physical characteristics, but their egg color too, unique in the APA so far as I know !
Wise words !

Yes the egg color is stated as important in the breed standard, but egg color is not being judged along with the bird in shows. The Ameraucana is similar in that the standard states a specific egg color. So the Marans is not unique in that respect. In either breed, I wonder if a pullet or hen being shown happened to lay an egg of incorrect color in the cage, would the judge disqualify the bird?

I have heard rumors that they have been DQ'd for such things.
and there are people out there that would put an incorrect egg in your pen for a detrimental joke (of course we would hope not but what i've seen while showing Old English Game Bantams shocked me ... i've been at several shows where 'out right theft' took place .

Yes the egg color is stated as important in the breed standard, but egg color is not being judged along with the bird in shows. The Ameraucana is similar in that the standard states a specific egg color. So the Marans is not unique in that respect. In either breed, I wonder if a pullet or hen being shown happened to lay an egg of incorrect color in the cage, would the judge disqualify the bird?
Ha HA that has crossed my mind as well, and yes, Ameraucana are the only others judged that way, except maybe Penedesencas.........and from there , there is a world of other breeds from other countries that have varied physical forms, and varied egg/size/color.
Seriously, out here, if I had a Penedescenca entered (or more), or Bielefelder, or ANY Marans, it would be entered in the AOB part of the show, and brushed by the judges with nary a backwards glance.................

What about temperament? I've heard they aren't as sweet as other chickens.
ALL my Marans are sweethearts.
I have my own lines, which I've had for over 14 years, and I have DMRippy birds, which are also sweet birds.

Truthfully, the only 'mean' Marans I have ever seen, was a Cock bird a neighbor got from a hatchery, and yes, he was mean as all get out !
He was also not SOP to American or French Standards, he was at best a decent example of a English- type Cuckoo'd bird...dual light eggs, dull bloom, no feathered shanks, and mean as the day is long.

and there are people out there that would put an incorrect egg in your pen for a detrimental joke (of course we would hope not but what i've seen while showing Old English Game Bantams shocked me ... i've been at several shows where 'out right theft' took place .
Seriously ?
Such as ppl stealing hen's eggs out of the cage at shows ????

Back
Top Bottom