Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Good morning!

I'm hatching and went to bed with 4 marans eggs "unzipping". Instead of finding chicks this morning I found the eggs in exactly the same way. This hatch also included OE's (6 of 6 already hatched out by yesterday morning plus one BCM that already hatched fine). I took the chicks out and checked on the BCM's, thinking they had shrink wrapped or something.

3 out of the 4 were dead. Not dried out AT ALL. I "helped" the one that was still alive, even though he wasn't stuck. All of the dead chicks were completely formed, yolks absorbed, no blood, and up to halfway around the shell. I've never had that happen before. The only time I've had chicks die at that point is if they get stuck and dry out. That was not the case here. The one I "helped" seems to have his neck bent under if that means anything.

I have been doing consecutive hatches in my incubator. When I candled before lock down I noticed that the BCM eggs had much smaller air cells then the mixes. I just read somewhere that high humidity at first can make them 'die in their own slime'? So 6 of 6 OE's hatched and 1 of 6 BCM's (2 if you count the one I helped)??

Thanks in advance for any insight!
They may have drowned. Do you hatch upright in cartons or do the earlier chicks play soccer with those still trying to hatch? I have had experience with chicks zipping along, getting kicked over (so beak is on the bottom) and having them drown. We hatch upright now. I'd also take a look at humidity (we go completely dry around 24% until lockdown at 65%).

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some show quality black copper marans fertile eggs.

I have one with gorgeous coloring, less shank feathers than I would prefer, and her eggs are usually more of a 4 on the scale. I realize egg color cycles, but she's never given me darker than a 6 I'm looking for eggs that will be 8-9.

If someone can please point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some show quality black copper marans fertile eggs. 

I have one with gorgeous coloring, less shank feathers than I would prefer, and her eggs are usually more of a 4 on the scale.  I realize egg color cycles, but she's never given me darker than a 6 I'm looking for eggs that will be 8-9.

If someone can please point me in the right direction it'd be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Hmmm show quality birds that lay in the 8-9 range.... I'm thinking that might be a bit ambitious... But hey, if you find them... please let us know :)

Hmmm show quality birds that lay in the 8-9 range.... I'm thinking that might be a bit ambitious... But hey, if you find them... please let us know
smile.png

Haha okay!
I knew they wouldn't come cheap, but I didn't think they would be so hard to come by!!!
I know I'm not getting an 8-9 every egg, but I've never gotten one that deep from the one I have now.
Really trying for those super dark eggs!

Does anyone recommend any breeders worth looking into?

Even if it was on occasion I'd love to get an 8!
Mine are darker than my other eggs, but I'd say I average a 5, they're not THAT dark.
And my blue Marans are lighter with dark speckles, though I hear it's common the other breeds of Marans besides BCM are usually lighter.
I just want some DARK eggs!!!

I've been googling breeders and looking on ebay & the ones with the bird that looks how I want have light eggs and the ones with (supposedly) dark eggs some have random white patches, some the copper coloring is off, some have really blotchy shank feathers.

All I want is one perfect BCM hen!!!
wink.png

Mine are darker than my other eggs, but I'd say I average a 5, they're not THAT dark.
And my blue Marans are lighter with dark speckles, though I hear it's common the other breeds of Marans besides BCM are usually lighter.

I've been googling breeders and looking on ebay & the ones with the bird that looks how I want have light eggs and the ones with (supposedly) dark eggs some have random white patches, some the copper coloring is off, some have really blotchy shank feathers.

wink.png

That is exactly what I have seen. People seem to breed for EITHER egg color or type but not usually both. I am not saying that you have to sacrifice one for the other and some are working on both but not many and the ones that are working on both guard their birds.

wink.png
There is no perfect bird.

Back
Top Bottom