Black Copper Marans discussion thread

since you work on egg colors, can I ask if they will produce olive eggs on the first cross?
I have a chick who hatched from a green egg, has muffs and a beard (EE) and I know for certain her daddy was a lavender copper marans. So I'm really hoping she lays me an olive egg in a few months :)

BTW, is lavender the correct color? Or should it be blue?

I think you mean blue copper. I crossed Black Copper Marans male over Black Ameraucana last year. She was not an EE, she was pure Ameraucana and laid nice blue eggs. The crossed birds lay beautiful olive eggs.

since you work on egg colors, can I ask if they will produce olive eggs on the first cross?
I have a chick who hatched from a green egg, has muffs and a beard (EE) and I know for certain her daddy was a lavender copper marans. So I'm really hoping she lays me an olive egg in a few months :)

This is my understanding, although I haven't had a cross reach laying age yet, so I can't really answer your question. I'm hoping for olive colored eggs from the first cross. I've always heard them called Blue Copper Marans.

I think you mean blue copper. I crossed Black Copper Marans male over Black Ameraucana last year. She was not an EE, she was pure Ameraucana and laid nice blue eggs. The crossed birds lay beautiful olive eggs.
Thank you, just what I wanted to know!
This is my understanding, although I haven't had a cross reach laying age yet, so I can't really answer your question. I'm hoping for olive colored eggs from the first cross. I've always heard them called Blue Copper Marans.

That's what I thought (Blue) but the owner called them lavender so I wasn't sure if there was really a difference
idunno.gif
guess I will just have to wait longer for that egg! thanks!

Thank you, just what I wanted to know!

That's what I thought (Blue) but the owner called them lavender so I wasn't sure if there was really a difference
idunno.gif
guess I will just have to wait longer for that egg! thanks!

There is a difference between blue and lavender. Lavender is a separate gene from blue. I don't know if anybody has bred lavender Marans yet, but if they have, there probably aren't that many out there.

There is a difference between blue and lavender. Lavender is a separate gene from blue. I don't know if anybody has bred lavender Marans yet, but if they have, there probably aren't that many out there.

Well for instance I know that Papa's Poultry sells black copper marans who are split for the lavender gene.. a friend of mine has those birds, but they're all black, they just carry the lav gene

these chicks were eggs from a Lav Rooster X BCM hens (I can't find the breeder's contact information, it was thru craigslist
sad.png
)

so I was thinking maybe they are split for lav and she didn't know it? because I clearly have these light blue / lavender colored chicks! they have a lot of the copper color though, way too much I think.. I'm using them for meat this year so not really worried about the SOP or anything like that. I just enjoy observing and learning what I can. I also have BCM hens myself so I have gleaned a little bit on what they 'should' look like, which is.. less coppery than this, yea?

Edit: On PP's site they are called "isabella" -
'Marans Chick- Isabella Project (black) May or may not have leg feathers. About 50% will be split to lavender. Egg color will need work to darken.'
not sure if these are from his stock, however.

Last edited:

If she has a single comb, her eggs will most likely be brown. If she has a pea comb, she will most likely lay olive coloured eggs.

I bought 2 BCM and they both turned out to be roos. I am new to the BCM and was wanting help in choosing which one to keep. What am I looking for in the quality of the breed? Any help will be appreciated.

#1 on Right

#1 on right

I bought 2 BCM and they both turned out to be roos. I am new to the BCM and was wanting help in choosing which one to keep. What am I looking for in the quality of the breed? Any help will be appreciated.

#1 on Right

#1 on right
#1 is narrow with a LARGE amount of leakage of copper on his chest. His legs appear to be white. The photos are too small to see if either of them have correct shank and outer toe feathering. #2's legs also appear white in these photos. He appears to be deeper throughout but lacking in balance (no hindquarter to speak of). Photos of a natural stance from the front, side, rear and from the top are better suited to this kind of question.

Back
Top Bottom