Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Hello all. Can anyone tell me if I have pullets, roos or one of each? Their hen is a cuckoo and their roo is a BCM. The top one has feathered feet but the
larger one doesn't. They hatched a day apart but the first one to hatch has always been larger. I'm really hoping for at least one pullet since my husband does not like roos. Thanks for you help.

Thank you so much. I can't wait to combine them into my flock. I have been wanting to add marans to my little flock since I began raising chickens in 2011. It's still fun to look for eggs every day.

Hello all. Can anyone tell me if I have pullets, roos or one of each? Their hen is a cuckoo and their roo is a BCM. The top one has feathered feet but the
larger one doesn't. They hatched a day apart but the first one to hatch has always been larger. I'm really hoping for at least one pullet since my husband does not like roos. Thanks for you help.
If you mean the chicks came from a cuckoo hen and a BCM rooster than you got a sex link cross and both would be pullets. The roos from that cross would have been barred.

Don't expect dark eggs from that cross....

Last edited:
So that is a sex link mating eh? I guess it would be. That did not occur to me. The eggs will likely be halfway between the Cuckoo and the BCM or not even that dark? I am unfamiliar with the Cuckoos egg tint. . Could you elaborate DM?

Here are a few pics of my 10-11 week old BCMs. I have such a hard time getting good pics of them they are quick little things. I know the pics arent great but any thoughts on them?

I also have this one with very light creamy yellow hackles which I found odd

^^^ those cream feathers come from the birchen genes. you have to breed it out

I figured that might be the case.

I assume this mean that it is likely that all birds hatched from the same batch of eggs may carry birchen genes also. Is it common in Black copper lines to carry other hidden colors in there genetic makeup.

Is it still ok to add these to my existing flock or is it hard to work with.

Last edited:
Okay so I now feel like I have egg on my :confused: face. It seems that the mom of my chicks is a copper maran not a cuckoo maran. They were barred but darker than the cuckoo chicks i helped raise. I am so new to this maran business that I apologize. So I know this is a nutty question but are they still pullets? This feels like asking my dad what the bunny was doing to its friend all over ;)again.

Back
Top Bottom