Black Copper Marans discussion thread

She looks cuckoo to me. Pics are tough to see actual markings though
Here is my strange litte bird, she came with a batch of 10 black copper chicks. What can have happened with
the genetics to make her look like that. I guess she has some recessive gene that doesnt normally show up,
I'd love to learn more about that. I don't know what the parents were like but they are supposed to be C1 Line.
They were hatched on Dec 21st

Has anyone had a black copper maran with no tail feathers??? He is 3 months old and has NEVER had a tail! When I got him he had a pasty butt and his butt was completely bald! I figured as he gets older he'll get them..yeah still hasn't! He still gets poop all over his butt and feathers have grown but he has no tail feathers. He just looks very deformed...I've been trying to get pictures, but doesn't like the camera.

Has anyone had a black copper maran with no tail feathers??? He is 3 months old and has NEVER had a tail! When I got him he had a pasty butt and his butt was completely bald! I figured as he gets older he'll get them..yeah still hasn't! He still gets poop all over his butt and feathers have grown but he has no tail feathers. He just looks very deformed...I've been trying to get pictures, but doesn't like the camera.

Does he have a tail? I've heard of some being hatched that don't have a tail, just nothing there at all.

The "tailless" breeds like Auracana don't have an oil gland. Can you grab him and look down through his feathers and see if he has an oil gland? It's a small protruding bump. If he's lacking that I would say it's a genetic abnormality and he does not have a tail.

When he was little he had a little flap where the tail sets. I'll try and get him today to get a picture and examine his back end closely. He is scared to death of us so its hard to get a hold of him to look.

FTR I have had several cockerels be very slow to grow in tail sickles.

This is the light colored male that have decided to keep and try working with despite his light color. He is the largest Marans I have. He does usually stretch his neck out more but this was the best I could do in the really cold weather. I plan to cross him over the melanized pullet I have to see if they might cancel each other out. She has a white ear as well which I want to test breed to see how many carry the gene. Those will all be enrolled in freezer camp. I do have pictures of my pullets for another going over by the Marans crew :) I like them but I know there has to be at least one more thing wrong with them other than the feathering on their shanks being too light. Have at!

Yellow leg band

Blue leg band. Her hackles are a bit more colored in than yellow but their color is nearly identicle. IDK if her tail is usually this high. I will watch for it.

And because I am a glutton for punishment, here is the second male in the best pic I could get of him. His posture is not natural here. He is stretching in 'what the heck is that?" pose because of the camera. I know his hackle color is not even. His shanks are correct despite not seeing that in the picture. The flash isn't helping his color very much...

FTR I have had several cockerels be very slow to grow in tail sickles.

This is the light colored male that have decided to keep and try working with despite his light color. He is the largest Marans I have. He does usually stretch his neck out more but this was the best I could do in the really cold weather. I plan to cross him over the melanized pullet I have to see if they might cancel each other out. She has a white ear as well which I want to test breed to see how many carry the gene. Those will all be enrolled in freezer camp. I do have pictures of my pullets for another going over by the Marans crew :) I like them but I know there has to be at least one more thing wrong with them other than the feathering on their shanks being too light. Have at!

Yellow leg band

Blue leg band. Her hackles are a bit more colored in than yellow but their color is nearly identicle. IDK if her tail is usually this high. I will watch for it.

And because I am a glutton for punishment, here is the second male in the best pic I could get of him. His posture is not natural here. He is stretching in 'what the heck is that?" pose because of the camera. I know his hackle color is not even. His shanks are correct despite not seeing that in the picture. The flash isn't helping his color very much...
I believe all of these birds have a wheaten influence. First female look at the brown soft feathering on the underside, She also has a cushion in middle of the back. The blended feathers on the ,ales is a indicator that they have added Wheaten influence for somewhere. Some can't tell the difference in the Wheaten and BC male, causing the two colors to be mixed up alot.

Thank you, Don. What about the males?

Below is a pic of the one you said had a cushion, but I think it was just her posture. This was another frame in the same take. Do you still see brown in her fluff?

Each pullet came from a different breeder. It would be 'interesting' if they all had wheaten. If they do, how hard is this going to make it for me to breed decent BC?
Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom