Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Quote:
Quite frankly, you are much better off working with hatching eggs from the west coast. Try to find a way to get them from the US. They have some spectacular things happening with Marans on your side of the continent.

I have been working with Marans for about 5 seconds in the grand scheme of things; learning and building and culling and making connections. And by the way, we don't refer to them with the "F" anymore because we have our own Standard here in North America and our own lines.

Looking for some eggs. Got a few in the bator, but would like a few more from different breeders. Pm me if you have any eggs available.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, you are much better off working with hatching eggs from the west coast. Try to find a way to get them from the US. They have some spectacular things happening with Marans on your side of the continent. 

I have been working with Marans for about 5 seconds in the grand scheme of things; learning and building and culling and making connections. And by the way, we don't refer to them with the "F" anymore because we have our own Standard here in North America and our own lines.

Ok so I'm better off finding something around here? Right now I have 16 chicks from two different breeders and a dozen eggs from a third breeder in the bator. but I'm thinking that's not going to be enough ones I cull the roosters and such. What do you think?

Bre

The breeding discussions going on here are pretty far above my understanding but have me somewhat curious about my chicks. I don't know much about chickens but if they were pure breed dogs I would describe these Marans as "pet quality" what I am wondering is if they will be laying the dark eggs I am hoping for.

Though I was offered some older Maran for our flock DH wanted chicks.... So we got two (for $3.00 each) from a local guy on Craigslist. He doesn't breeds he buys and hatches out eggs. He said these where hatched for very dark brown eggs. As for the chicks. They both have a very nice back arch and nicely shaped heads. One has feathered legs the other does not. The one with feathered legs has just one long white pin feather at each wing tips, the other has lots of white feathers on the underside of her wings. I can see the copper color coming in on both of their neck and black feather tips.

They were hatched the last week of February and at this point I am almost positive they are both hens.

Quote:
Absolutely impossible to judge chicks, quite frankly. I do know there are some GREAT things happening with Marans at the shows on the west coast, granted south of our border. Nevertheless, those are the eggs I'd be pursuing.

The truth is, all of us are still trying to build our Marans. They are a VERY new breed with a type that can be evasive at the best of times. Even the most successful and well established breeders are still having surprises pop out of the eggs. If you want to work with Marans you have to be prepared to be extremely patient and prepared for whatever. Worst case scenario, an opportunity to learn. Perfection is still a LONG way off.

The breeding discussions going on here are pretty far above my understanding but have me somewhat curious about my chicks. I don't know much about chickens but if they were pure breed dogs I would describe these Marans as "pet quality" what I am wondering is if they will be laying the dark eggs I am hoping for.

Though I was offered some older Maran for our flock DH wanted chicks.... So we got two (for $3.00 each) from a local guy on Craigslist. He doesn't breeds he buys and hatches out eggs. He said these where hatched for very dark brown eggs. As for the chicks. They both have a very nice back arch and nicely shaped heads. One has feathered legs the other does not. The one with feathered legs has just one long white pin feather at each wing tips, the other has lots of white feathers on the underside of her wings. I can see the copper color coming in on both of their neck and black feather tips.

They were hatched the last week of February and at this point I am almost positive they are both hens.
Well, let me take a stab at this......... The standard calls for feathered legs all the way down the outside toe, feathers on the middle toe are a fault, not a disqualifier (DQ) I believe. So, the chick with the non-feathered legs is most likely pet quality, if it is very good in shape and colour, some breeders are still using them and breeding to a heavily feathered mate in hopes of producing correct offspring which does happen.

Pictures would help, at 6 -7 weeks old, if you are seeing copper neck feathers and copper coming in on black feather tips (where on their body?), I would suspect boys. The white is normal for this age and should molt out otherwise again, you have pet quality.

For the price of these chicks, I doubt the eggs were purchased from a good breeder but one never knows. The going rate around here for potential breeder/show quality BCM is $8 - $12/chick and hatching eggs are $2 and up per egg. If they are pullets, the dark eggs will remain to be seen. This breed changes and matures till well over a year old and even at two years and older we are getting surprises like white tail feathers after a molt where none had been before.

Hope this helps and hoping you do have girls and they will lay lovely dark eggs for you!!!

Absolutely impossible to judge chicks, quite frankly. I do know there are some GREAT things happening with Marans at the shows on the west coast, granted south of our border. Nevertheless, those are the eggs I'd be pursuing. 

The truth is, all of us are still trying to build our Marans. They are a VERY new breed with a type that can be evasive at the best of times. Even the most successful and well established breeders are still having surprises pop out of the eggs. If you want to work with Marans you have to be prepared to be extremely patient and prepared for whatever. Worst case scenario, an opportunity to learn. Perfection is still a LONG way off.

Yes I don't plan on culling any until there at lest 6 months old.
Also I found a breeder just on the other side of the border in the US thet I would love to get some eggs from. But is it not true that you can't bring fertile eggs over the border unless there birds are vet checked and such??

Bre

Yes I don't plan on culling any until there at lest 6 months old.
Also I found a breeder just on the other side of the border in the US thet I would love to get some eggs from. But is it not true that you can't bring fertile eggs over the border unless there birds are vet checked and such??

Bre
You can take eating eggs across.......... I grew up in Vancouver, BC (been in Oregon 26 years now) and my family still lives there, groceries are fine just no fruits/veggies :)

aa I see so I could just declare there eating eggs. Sweet I guess I've got some emailing to do. Lol
big_smile.png
thanks a bunch!!
You are welcome! I am not ready to let any eggs or chicks go yet, test mating two new cocks to make sure I do not further pollute this wonderfull breed. If all goes ok, I would be happy to bring some eggs up to you in the future or send some back with some family members. We are usually crossing the border a couple of times per year. I should know by mid summer if I am moving forward or heading back to the drawing board :)

Back
Top Bottom