Black Copper Marans discussion thread

You are welcome!  I am not ready to let any eggs or chicks go yet, test mating two new cocks to make sure I do not further pollute this wonderfull breed.  If all goes ok, I would be happy to bring some eggs up to you in the future or send some back with some family members.  We are usually crossing the border a couple of times per year.  I should know by mid summer if I am moving forward or heading back to the drawing board :)

Yes that would be great!!!:D keep me updated with your progress!!! :)
Also a little off topic but I love your avatar. Got two QH my self. yours looks alot like a Warmblood?

Bre

Quote:
Time for "groceries" ....
wink.png

Yes that would be great!!!
big_smile.png
keep me updated with your progress!!!
smile.png

Also a little off topic but I love your avatar. Got two QH my self. yours looks alot like a Warmblood?

Bre
He is a Westfalen that belonged to a client. I showed him for her a couple of years back then when the economy went south, she needed to sell him. Awesome horse, I really miss him.

Ok how do you break a broody?? SHe's a FBCM and about 9 months old
What has worked the best for me is to put them in a breeding pen with a young cockeral. Takes a week or two till they lay an egg again then I let them out. My only breeder pullet last year laid about 12 - 25 eggs then would go broody. That was her cycle. I think I had to break her of it about 6 times throughout the season I was trying to collect her eggs for hatching. It was a pain but I love her and she has given me some nice pullets to work with this year. I free-ranged her with my layer flock and just put her in with her Cock two mornings a week. When she would go broody, I would leave her in with him until she was laying again then she would get to free-range again.

What has worked the best for me is to put them in a breeding pen with a young cockeral.   Takes a week or two till they lay an egg again then I let them out.  My only breeder pullet last year laid about 12 - 25 eggs then would go broody.  That was her cycle.  I think I had to break her of it about 6 times throughout the season I was trying to collect her eggs for hatching.  It was a pain but I love her and she has given me some nice pullets to work with this year.  I free-ranged her with my layer flock and just put her in with her Cock two mornings a week.  When she would go broody, I would leave her in with him until she was laying again then she would get to free-range again.
Oh man it takes that long for them to start laying again? Oh no.

SO HAPPY!
wee.gif
love.gif
Finally got some BCM eggs to hatch! here's bantam mama giving me the stinkeye and the first chick I ever had hatch out. There's another one peeping under there and 5 more eggs to go (3 of them mutts from another sneaky bantam that I finally realized was laying new ones in the nest each day
barnie.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom