Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Alright finally took some more pictures although looking at them now im not sure they are any better than the previous ones. They wont stop moving!

Just to reiterate I have 4 supposed black copper marans but two seem very different from the other two. Ill just call them the "dark" and "light" to avoid confusion.
It looks like one has a beard and muffs? Could they be Olive Eggers that didn't have pea combs?
yea it looks like only the one has the muffs and beard where as the other "dark" one has just the beard no muffs. Both have clean legs that are black with gray bottoms.

Here is the one with muffs and beard.

And the other with just a beard. Correct me if im wrong

Here are the two "light"
both have very similiar lighter yellow colored eyes with black top feet and yellow on the bottom.
Only this one seems to have the leg feathering. bird out of focus is a "dark"

Pic from yesterday but the best one I have been able to get

The seller had alot of different breeds on sight, I picked up some cuckoo's along with the BCM. I guess at the very least come egg laying time we will figure things out.
tongue2.gif

Sorry to take up so much room here guys I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Alright finally took some more pictures although looking at them now im not sure they are any better than the previous ones. They wont stop moving!

Just to reiterate I have 4 supposed black copper marans but two seem very different from the other two. Ill just call them the "dark" and "light" to avoid confusion.
Quote: Heres my take on it...if you bought 4 birds that you were told were black copper Marans, and 2 of them are definitely crosses with Ameraucanas or another breed that has beards & muffs, then You know that that person did not keep their birds separate. So, I would not trust that the other 2 that "sorta" look like Marans, really are. Also, BC Marans feet are whitish on the bottom, not yellow, another clue that they are not pure.

I just got 6 black copper maran chicks the other day and i was wondering how you can sex them by there comb?
If you have six chicks, and 3 of them have combs that are bigger & redder than the other 3, they are probably males. Female combs don' usually grow & get pink for a couple of months, but then, the roosters are obvious.

I've had pasture raised laying hens for several years. A couple of months ago I decided to get into BCM's. I started acquiring eggs from different breeders and hatching them. I bought three 14 month old hens and two 6 month old roosters. I also have nine 3 week old chicks, 2 dozen eggs that are due to hatch in the next few days and am picking up 10 chicks from Taylor Hobby Farm in Dalton, Georgia in 2 weeks, My knowledge of what to look for in the BCM's has grown significantly since I started this, and I am sure I have birds that don't meet the "standards". I have a few questions for the experienced breeders, so that I can steer my breeding program in the right direction. I am interested in breeding to the French standard, which to my understanding will produce dark eggs without spotting.. 1) Are black spots on the eggs an undesirable trait? 2) Should I only hatch the darkest eggs with no spots? 3) Should I only breed hens that have copper hackles, amber eyes and feathers on the outside of the leg? 3) Should I only breed roosters that have solid copper hackles and saddle feathers, no spotting on the breast, amber eyes and feathered on the outside of the leg? 4) Is it unusual for 6 month old roosters to not crow, not attempt to mount the hens and to be scared of their own shadow?
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Heres my take on it...if you bought 4 birds that you were told were black copper Marans, and 2 of them are definitely crosses with Ameraucanas or another breed that has beards & muffs, then You know that that person did not keep their birds separate. So, I would not trust that the other 2 that "sorta" look like Marans, really are. Also, BC Marans feet are whitish on the bottom, not yellow, another clue that they are not pure.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the reply.

Where can one find the "guidelines" for this breed?

They should lay around August/September so ill post up some pictures, as long as they are remotely dark brown eggs I will be content.
fl.gif

The seller certainly charges for BCM. I'm just curious is this something you guys would email the seller about or just look to business with someone else next season?

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the reply.

Where can one find the "guidelines" for this breed?

They should lay around August/September so ill post up some pictures, as long as they are remotely dark brown eggs I will be content.
fl.gif

The seller certainly charges for BCM. I'm just curious is this something you guys would email the seller about or just look to business with someone else next season?
I would email the seller and let her know. We had someone email us because we had sold him Black Copper Marans chicks and two hatched blue. I had switched out a roo (from Black to Blue) a few days before I sent them in one pen and completely blanked on it. He was fine with it, he was just curious.

Last edited:

Two of my foundation roos. I am very new to bcm but would like to breed to standard. The darker bird is 8 months old. The lighter bird is 10-12months old. Any critic would be of value. My hens are still very young more pics to come

Cesar and brutis. My foundation black copper marans. Please critic. Cesar is darker of the two and is only 8 months old his color is coming through. Brutis is 10 months old And lighter of the two. Let me know what you think

Back
Top Bottom