Black Copper Marans discussion thread

ok so I know my bcm is a roo they will be 5 wks Monday but I can't decide on the blue copper it feathered fast but seems to have a big comb but it's not as big as the bcm.

blue

blue on left bcm on right for comparison

blue

I ordered 2 Cuckoo Marans Pullets and 1 Cuckoo Marans Roo today from Meyer Hatchery for pickup August 5th. Excited! I wanted Black Copper but they are sold out for the year. Do the Cuckoos lay as dark of an egg as the Black Coppers?

I ordered 2 Cuckoo Marans Pullets and 1 Cuckoo Marans Roo today from Meyer Hatchery for pickup August 5th. Excited! I wanted Black Copper but they are sold out for the year. Do the Cuckoos lay as dark of an egg as the Black Coppers?
We have a cuckoo marans from Meyer hatchery that is about a year and a half old. She lays a really pretty dark egg, although not nearly as dark as our Black Coppers.

No, they typically don't lay as dark as a black copper. Hatchery birds don't usually lay a dark egg for a Marans but there have been exceptions. If you want dark eggs, your best bet is to get birds from a breeder directly. Hatcheries are into mass production for maximum revenue so don't put as much attention into breed standards or egg color.

I'm new here, but just wanted to share a pic of my seven week old BCM pair. I know that the pullet is a bit too mossy, but she is just the sweetest, friendliest little bird. She is always the first to greet me every morning :) Anyway, I just wanted to share!

Hey gang I picked up 4 black copper marans early february and they are all supposed to be cottage hill line. Ive noticed theres almost two different birds im seeing now.

Heres a pic of the two different "kinds" together

One has dark eyes with black to gray feet and has a slightly bigger build.

The other has a lighter comb with lighter eyes and black with yellow bottom feet.

What do you guys think?

Hey gang I picked up 4 black copper marans early february and they are all supposed to be cottage hill line. Ive noticed theres almost two different birds im seeing now.

Heres a pic of the two different "kinds" together

One has dark eyes with black to gray feet and has a slightly bigger build.

The other has a lighter comb with lighter eyes and black with yellow bottom feet.

What do you guys think?
PM Sent.

Back
Top Bottom